George Howell Mamuto AB - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
RyanP

#31: Post by RyanP »

grog wrote:George Howell is the featured roaster at the Seattle La Marzocco cafe this month, so I can purchase these coffees locally for once. I just picked up a bag of this that's 5 days post-roast. Will be pulling shots on a variety of manual and spring levers over the next week or so...will report back.
Same! I stopped in on Friday but they still had Onyx in. I will stop back in this week to pick up a couple George Howell coffees. I'll give the Mamuto a go on my lever, as well.

grog

#32: Post by grog »

I just noticed that the Mamuto AB that they have on offer isn't the espresso roast. I'll still give it a try as espresso, though.
LMWDP #514

Advertisement
nuketopia

#33: Post by nuketopia »

Can't wait to try this one when it comes in the LM Home subscription in a few days!!! Got the shipping notice today.

Sometimes these really light, difficult to extract beans work better with low TDS water and high temperatures. Unusual since most espressos need a good bit of mineral content in the water to shine.

Chert

#34: Post by Chert »

This is among the April La Marzocco cafe selections with George Howell, following Onyx, following Dutch Bros, (correction, Stumptown).
LMWDP #198

BillBurrGrinder (original poster)

#35: Post by BillBurrGrinder (original poster) »

nuketopia wrote:Can't wait to try this one when it comes in the LM Home subscription in a few days!!! Got the shipping notice today.

Sometimes these really light, difficult to extract beans work better with low TDS water and high temperatures. Unusual since most espressos need a good bit of mineral content in the water to shine.
I think these are roasted med-dark. Pretty unique flavor...I got sort of a raisin flavor out of it. I pulled at 200 maybe 202. Fairly forgiving bean to be honest. Tasted good no matter how I pulled it...I just really liked the unique flavor. It grows on you after the first shot.

Jared

#36: Post by Jared »

My subscription will be here tomorrow and I am excited! Are you all going to be digging into the Mamuto or Alchemy first? I want to freeze the one I'm not using first.

grog

#37: Post by grog »

Over the weekend, I've pulled shots with this on 5 different home levers. 2 pressurized boiler spring levers (Faemina, Olympia Club), 1 open boiler spring lever (Peppina), and 2 pressurized boiler direct levers (1st gen Europiccola, 67 Cremina). So, I think I've been able to see how it performs on a range of lever styles.

While it's pretty easy to pull as espresso overall, I'm with Tom on this - this is best as pour over. The lone Chemex batch I made was easily the most delicious coffee I got from the beans. There is just something lost as espresso. Some of the lovely, soaring aromatics go away and flavors are muted, at least compared to a pour over cup. It's still easily recognizable as Mamuto when pulled as straight shots, but it's too densely packed, somehow overly reduced. Even the Faemina, my gold standard lever for SOs, can't unpack in a way that does it justice.

My two cents anyway. It's such a gorgeous coffee!
LMWDP #514

Advertisement
jammin

#38: Post by jammin »

Grog - did you get the drip or espresso roast?

Jared

#39: Post by Jared replying to jammin »

A couple of posts prior to his last one he said he was not able to get the espresso roast so he is using the one for drip.

grog

#40: Post by grog »

Yep, I've got the 'regular' roast. But my note above is consistent with the espresso roast as well, which I've had many times. It certainty works but something goes missing somehow.

EDIT: I am apparently illiterate. This morning I noticed on the label that in fact I DO have the espresso roast. The new-to-me Howell bags have a different look and I just didn't notice the little 'espresso' circle they use now to designate. In any event, my notes have been consistent throughout the time I've had these beans, which are now almost done.
LMWDP #514