George Howell customer service - AWESOME.

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
damonbowe

Postby damonbowe » Dec 03, 2018, 4:40 pm

Curious if anyone else has experienced customer service problems lately with George Howell? I order from there pretty regularly and was considering a subscription since they have such a great variety of offerings. But lately I've received my orders slowly and the orders I receive are at least 2 weeks old and pulls like really stale beans.

I tried to contact customer service to fix the issue as I only order coffee to get freshly roasted beans, but I have never received a response via email and they don't pick up their phone.

Obviously my next step is to never order there again, but they were so awesome for a long run for me. I keep wondering if someone or something went wrong there and I should stick with them??? I mean, I can't stick with them without a reason for these issues. I mean, I can get ancient coffee beans from the grocery store that will pull just the same as the ones I've been receiving from GH.

Frustrated.

sluflyer06

Postby sluflyer06 » Dec 03, 2018, 4:49 pm

Well that's concerning, I was thinking about ordering from them for the first time time...

damonbowe

Postby damonbowe » replying to sluflyer06 » Dec 03, 2018, 6:07 pm

Apparently my emails aren't getting through, but they did call me back and set everything straight just now. And it was a pleasant conversation.

I love their coffees and have had such a great experience, I'm happy to report that this was resolved in a way that was totally satisfactory to me and I'll remain a customer. TBH I started ordering from them because they did not cut corners on anything and their shipping is reasonable and very fast to Washington, DC.

soadasopa

Postby soadasopa » Dec 03, 2018, 6:47 pm

I have to think they ship slowly at least a little bit on purpose.. the way they roast (light) tends to need more time to rest. I would agree with you about espresso though.

I just got some coffees from them which took the full two weeks to arrive to Texas since it was Thanksgiving, but they arrived PERFECTLY rested and are delicious.

I have e-mailed them before and received reasonable replies in reasonable time.

isleofman

Postby isleofman » Dec 03, 2018, 7:05 pm

I live a few miles away from their roasting facility, so I usually pick up my orders. Occasionally it makes sense to ship and my orders have always shipped same day (or next day if I order after cutoff). The coffee is mostly roasted the day I order it - sometimes 1 or 2 days before (which is fine with me since that gets me closer to ideal post-roast timing).

One thing to keep in mind, if you order one of their limited roasts that will roast on the day specified (usually the Monday after the offer goes live). I'm guessing they hold the whole order to ship together Monday.

To answer your question - I was there last week and everything seemed like business as usual.

Lissa

Iowa_Boy

Postby Iowa_Boy » Dec 04, 2018, 12:00 am

Just had some Alchemy arrive from Trade Coffee. Very prompt shipping and first coffee from GH. Can't wait to try!

sluflyer06

Postby sluflyer06 » Dec 04, 2018, 12:40 am

OP how does Howell magically fix for you what you stated was more than one order that took 2 weeks to arrive.

It would be helpful if you posted why this happened and how they are making sure orders go out fresh going forward. Thank you.

soadasopa

Postby soadasopa » Dec 04, 2018, 1:26 pm

Iowa_Boy wrote:Just had some Alchemy arrive from Trade Coffee. Very prompt shipping and first coffee from GH. Can't wait to try!

I believe trade uses first class or priority for all their shipping.. GH's cheapest option on their own website is UPS Surepost which sure is slow

Additionally, GH is one of the few on Trade's website that only keeps their year-around coffees on the site, not their seasonal single origins as most of the other roasters on that site do. I really wish I could order more of GH's lineup on there cause the shipping and easy of use is way above GH's own.

damonbowe

Postby damonbowe » Dec 05, 2018, 12:31 am

sluflyer06 wrote:OP how does Howell magically fix for you what you stated was more than one order that took 2 weeks to arrive.

It would be helpful if you posted why this happened and how they are making sure orders go out fresh going forward. Thank you.

They just sent me a new order, and while I have not received it in hand, I expect to by the end of the week. They asked who had done qc but I had already tossed the packaging.

I feel bad about posting a complaint but was desperate to figure out why I was receiving old beans. In the past other roasters have told me that I could use beans up to 6 months after roasts and refused to fix the situation, so I was ready for an argument. But instead I talked to a guy who was amazing and answered all my questions and concerns, and sent a replacement order to me at no charge.

What also got me amped up was my previous order also seemed stale, and was pulling really weird at week 2 in my hands. But I didn't check roast date for those beans before dumping them into my hopper.

I buy from George Howell because I consistently get 3 days post roast, sometimes earlier. Their prices are fair. And their roaster has some damned great taste, I love the flavors they bring out of the beans. As long as they don't send me stale beans I'm happy with everything else from GH.

It's not "magic" it's just some hard work and honesty.