Fresh Northern Italian style coffee bean options in US - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
coyote-1

#11: Post by coyote-1 »

If you're in the Northeast USA, Mongo's 82 Rome Street is excellent. They roast this blend every few days; you cannot help but get a fresh bag if you order from them. They have another great espresso blend too, but the 82 Rome Street hits on all cylinders IMO.

https://www.mongoscoffee.com/shop/82-rome-st

bobkat
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by bobkat »

How about Nicoletti Coffee Roasters in Brooklyn?

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Pressino »

Rowena wrote:Mr. Espresso. Organic Neopolitan Blend.

https://mrespresso.com/
Mr. Espresso roasts excellent Italian style coffee, including Neapolitan, which is more of a Southern type. Their Triestino and Tuscan would be more Northern in style. I hope they continue roasting great coffee right here in Oakland, where they've been in the same location for many years.

TomC
Team HB

#14: Post by TomC replying to Pressino »

I'll be going to their grand opening of their new cafe on Monday.Probably going to bring home a bag of Triestino, I've always liked it.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Roco2019

#15: Post by Roco2019 »

Nossa familia teodoro Italian roast is a tasty northern italian style roast imho. :)
Ro
LMWDP #697

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Pressino »

TomC wrote: I'll be going to their grand opening of their new cafe on Monday.Probably going to bring home a bag of Triestino, I've always liked it.
I went there this morning and had a single shot of their Neapolitan espresso. The shot was excellent, except for one thing...it was lukewarm. I don't believe they heat the cups, and since they are fairly heavy porcelain they absorb heat rather quickly from the coffee, especially espresso shots. I should have mentioned it to the gal working the register, since it's an easy thing to fix and the coffee itself was fine.

It's in Downtown Oakland on Broadway between 11th and 12th Streets. Parking is problematic, but the 12th Street Downtown Oakland BART station lets you out right there. Maybe should have posted this in the Cafes and Get-togethers forum...

Paris92
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by Paris92 »

Pressino wrote:Mr. Espresso roasts excellent Italian style coffee, including Neapolitan, which is more of a Southern type. Their Triestino and Tuscan would be more Northern in style. I hope they continue roasting great coffee right here in Oakland, where they've been in the same location for many years.
I also read this week they will be opening up their own brick and mortar locations soon.

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by TenLayers »

Pressino wrote:I went there this morning and had a single shot of their Neapolitan espresso. The shot was excellent, except for one thing...it was lukewarm. I don't believe they heat the cups, and since they are fairly heavy porcelain they absorb heat rather quickly from the coffee, especially espresso shots. I should have mentioned it to the gal working the register, since it's an easy thing to fix and the coffee itself was fine.

It's in Downtown Oakland on Broadway between 11th and 12th Streets. Parking is problematic, but the 12th Street Downtown Oakland BART station lets you out right there. Maybe should have posted this in the Cafes and Get-togethers forum...

Biked over there this morning and had a shot. I didn't mind the lukewarm cup, I think it added to the taste. I know my own shots settle down into near HeavenState at the lukewarm stage. And yes their shot was excellent, such a great soft mouth on it

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by Pressino »

Your comment got me rethinking my views about coffee temperature and taste. The shot I had was superb but instead of seeing that as due to its having cooled down a bit I automatically assumed it would have been much better if it were served piping hot. For some reason I assumed espresso should be served and drunk as close to its temperature when it exited the portafilter. That may be just a prejudicial assumption abetted by advertising with of rows of espresso cups stacked on top of espresso machines and smokelike images of heated vapor arising from cups of "Coffee Fresh, Rich, and Hot" like the old metal sign I've got above my coffee counter at home.

Time to experiment a bit. :)

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by TenLayers »

I asked the barista which blend they use in the espresso I had and he said it was the Organic Neopolitan.