Freezing whole unopened bags of coffee? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
tompoland

#11: Post by tompoland »

This is a great conversation. Learning a lot! It still amazes me how deep this coffee rabbit hole goes.
A little obsessed.

Jeff
Team HB

#12: Post by Jeff »

Definitely a risk of bag failure any time on a commercial airplane.

Given that more than half my coffees fly part of their journey to me, that's not a gamble I'll take.

IamOiman
Team HB

#13: Post by IamOiman »

I freeze my saka bags when I order personal batches. I just put some tape over the valve before they go in the freezer and I cannot tell a difference between a frozen bag taken out after 6 months and a never frozen bag of the same roast (or I just have a really bad sense of taste and smell)
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

chipman

#14: Post by chipman »

I order 5lb at a time, repack in mason jars, freeze, and use them up in about five weeks. There hasn't been a difference from the first to the last bottle.As for not thawing out the beans before grinding? Never heard of that. Sounds pretty inefficient if you ask me.

Chrikelnel

#15: Post by Chrikelnel »

IamOiman wrote:I freeze my saka bags when I order personal batches. I just put some tape over the valve before they go in the freezer and I cannot tell a difference between a frozen bag taken out after 6 months and a never frozen bag of the same roast (or I just have a really bad sense of taste and smell)
Do you grind the beans frozen? Ordered my first bag of Saka today.

IamOiman
Team HB

#16: Post by IamOiman »

no, I let them come up to room temp before opening the 1kg bag, so usually I wait 3-4 hours minimum
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

jpender

#17: Post by jpender »

Jeff wrote:Definitely a risk of bag failure any time on a commercial airplane.
What sort of failure?

Ad-85

#18: Post by Ad-85 »

I'm doing the same as the OP. I ordered a lot of bags before summer and will vacuum seal the bags then freeze them.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

kidloco

#19: Post by kidloco »

I just want to add that I have never ever noticed this loss of viscosity or flavor when I take my frozen beans (packed in 200-250gr packages) let them come to room temperature and use. Living in Singapore I use a wine fridge to keep my thawed beans at 15 degrees celsius.
★ Helpful

Splunge
Supporter ❤

#20: Post by Splunge »

kidloco wrote:I just want to add that I have never ever noticed this loss of viscosity or flavor when I take my frozen beans (packed in 200-250gr packages) let them come to room temperature and use.
I'm a fairly enthusiastic vacuum sealer and freezer, and haven't ever noticed a change in viscosity. I do generally notice a subtle change in flavour, though. IME, thawed beans seem to be missing some of the more aromatic "high notes" that were present in the fresh beans. It's still good coffee (or I wouldn't have bothered to freeze it), it's just had its flavour profile flattened out that little bit. Still working on my technique, will try grinding frozen next.
Chris