Freezing coffee beans

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Neto

#1: Post by Neto »

How bad will it affect the taste? I'm new to subscriptions and am looking to get the redbird espresso 5lbs bag. So if you make the calculation, 5lbs ships free and it's about $55 and a single pound is about $20 shipped so if I go through 1lbs a week that ends up being $100 for 5lbs. If freezing coffee beans don't affect taste that much I think it's worth it at least for me. I only drink milk based drinks so any suggestions are appreciated.

RyanJE

#2: Post by RyanJE »

My suggestion would be to stop drinking milk drinks only, your missing out! :D

But seriously there is a ton of info around here on freezing....
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Neto (original poster)

#3: Post by Neto (original poster) »

Yes, I want to drink espresso by itself but I don't think I'm at that level yet...

Thanks, will search

BillBurrGrinder

#4: Post by BillBurrGrinder replying to Neto »

I would suggest freezing it to the best of your ability, vacuum bag or zip lock or whatever, and taste it. Just test it out for yourself because there will be all sorts of conflicting info. Having it frozen for a long period might not be good but I haven't tested much yet myself. I have beans frozen I'm going to check with a pulled shot tomorrow.

For milk drinks you might not the difference even if there is one. I'd say go for it.

ALfromtheLAND

#5: Post by ALfromtheLAND »

I just bought a 5lb bag of Kaldi's espresso 700 and i plan on vacuum packing in 8 oz packages at about 4-5 days after roasting. Then going into chest freezer.

jesse

#6: Post by jesse »

With regard to filter coffee:

I break down bags into 1.5 oz jars which hold 18 to 20 grams depending on the bean. I always put the majority in deep freeze and pull a single dose as needed. After so long, the quality does degrade, but it's still a serviceable cup even after upwards of a month.

I picked up a fantastic Kenya recently and for whatever reason decided to leave the jars at room temp. At approximately one week in I couldn't get a decent cup regardless of brew method. And I went well out of my way to attempt to dial it in.

Anecdotal evidence, but I'm a staunch proponent of freezing.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by emradguy »

I put most every coffee I buy in the freezer. My brew methods are presspot and espresso. I use Ball canning jars in 4oz, 8oz, and 16oz sizes. The 16s are for espresso only and those hold about 200g...which lasts me about 3-4 days on the bar. I buy 5# bags most of the time and well, you can do the math, on how often I need to restock. There's no flavor degradation before they're gone. Just remember to take them out of the freezer long enough before you nee them from them to come to room temp before opening the jar...or you'll get condensation on the beans which will ruin them.

As said earlier by someone in this thread, there are tons of threads on this site (probably in the hundreds) about freezing beans.
LMWDP #748

BaristaBob

#8: Post by BaristaBob »

ALfromtheLAND wrote:I just bought a 5lb bag of Kaldi's espresso 700 and i plan on vacuum packing in 8 oz packages at about 4-5 days after roasting. Then going into chest freezer.
This has become my favorite espresso blend. Even purchased three bags recently and froze them. After three weeks in the freezer and thawing the next bag for 24 hours before using, it came out at exactly the same time (30 sec) and amount in the cup (36g) as the previous bag I had been using. Two thumbs up for freezing unopened bags!!!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Blacktip

#9: Post by Blacktip »

Anyone noticed that previously-frozen beans need to be grind finer?

I don't have long experience in this. I split some large bags with a friends couple of months ago. I vacuum sealed them in mason jars and put them in a household freezer. I let the jars thaw for at least 24 hours before use. I noticed that I need to grind finer than before freezing. Any explanation on why?

Spitz.me

#10: Post by Spitz.me »

This topic has no new information from what I've seen and it has been discussed to the death... more than once.

Freezing Espresso Coffee H-B Search
LMWDP #670