For those that love fruit bomb natural Ethiopian... - Page 8

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
sambuist

#71: Post by sambuist »

https://royalcoffee.com/product/cj1307/

Now this is an amazing fruit bomb.

JokerJacket

#72: Post by JokerJacket »

spressomon wrote:FYI/FWIW, Keith (he and his wife Jen are the owners & roasters of Northbound) relayed the upcoming December 4th release of their Headstash Ethiopia Bedhatu Jibicho is, in his terms, a "fruit bomb". He told me they have added more natural processed varietals within their upcoming Headstash, limited get them while you can, allotments.

https://northboundcoffee.com/store/#!/H ... y=15435015

Got my 5# ordered :D
Just got my 5# bag yesterday. Will let it rest a couple of days and try pulling shots. Be interested to see what others brew parameters are.

spressomon (original poster)

#73: Post by spressomon (original poster) »

^ I received mine a couple days ago. Its delicious but not the "fruit bomb" they had earlier this year (and the original topic of this thread); curious just like you to taste how it progresses over the next week+. I just finished their natural Costa Rica apart of their Headstash and it was stellar.
No Espresso = Depresso

JokerJacket

#74: Post by JokerJacket »

Took me a couple days to get this tasting decent. Looks like this needs decent amount of head space to expand. Was using 18g in 14g baskets and the taste was just ok. Now I am grinding finer in 17g basket baskets and the flavors are really starting to shine.

Parameters:

MonoSSP : 2.5
6 Bar, 200F
18g in 35 out @ 38 seconds

#75: Post by spressomon (original poster) »

At only 6-days post roast I'm getting nice chocolate, some light baking spice I can't quite put my tongue on along some faint stone fruit flavor (peach/nectarine??).

I'm dosing 18g in a 20g VST (to allow for full puck bloom given how I'm pulling), MF @ 2.9/3.0, 200F, Slayer pull method: Pre-brew until 6-grams in the cup then full brew pressure to 22g in cup then back to pre-brew to 30-31g in cup. This has yielded the best tasting cup for me. But, IMHO, these beans need 10+ days post roast rest.
No Espresso = Depresso

#76: Post by spressomon (original poster) »

So, I was having trouble reducing/eliminating a lime zest aftertaste with Northbound's recent natural Ethiopian Headstash release. I e-mailed Keith (he and Jen own Northbound) and he informed me of these perimeters to get the best espresso out of this bean:

199F
18g in / 45-46g out over 28 seconds +/-

After conferring with Keith, I tried a 10-second pre-brew/pre-infusion and finally backed down to a 5-second PB/PI with resulting flavor the best I've been able to pull for these beans; very different perimeters for most of the lighter roast beans I've played with.

The somewhat acrid lime zest aftertaste is gone with just a little bright citrus aftertaste remaining. All-in-all I'm pleased with the in-the-cup results although this particular bean is not a fruit bomb like their earlier in the year natural Ethiopian release and even not as fruity as the prior Headstash release of their natural processed Costa Rica beans (which here phenomenal BTW and left me wishing I would have ordered more than the 2lbs...).

HTH
No Espresso = Depresso

JokerJacket

#77: Post by JokerJacket »

Any new fruit bomb recommendations? Any of the new Headstash good?

jpender

#78: Post by jpender »

With the coronavirus looming I cleaned out a bunch of junk in my freezer about ten days ago to make room for other items. One of the junk things was a pound of Northbound Ethiopian natural (purchase inspired by this thread) in a vac seal bag. I had thrown the rest of my order into the compost bin last year because I couldn't stand the taste of it. I don't know why I kept a pound except that coffee is weird and sometimes it surprises me.

With the shelter in place order in effect as of today I'm thinking I'll just work my way through whatever coffee I have on hand or still in the freezer before buying new beans. So here is this pound of Northbound on the counter in a brick-solid vac bag. It's been sitting there for a week and a half AFTER spending close to eleven months in the freezer. So I pull a shot...

... and it's still not that good. Ha ha. But it's kinda, sorta drinkable. I'm trying not to be wasteful right now so I'll blend it 50/50 with a darker roast I have and make long blacks. And eat cookies at the same time.

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#79: Post by wingnutsglory »

:D

Cue the wha-wha-wha trumpet music!

You had me...I was hopeful!
... and it's still not that good. Ha ha. But it's kinda, sorta drinkable. I'm trying not to be wasteful right now so I'll blend it 50/50 with a darker roast I have and make long blacks. And eat cookies at the same time.

JokerJacket

#80: Post by JokerJacket »

I don't know about the older Northbound mentioned above, but the new one they started selling in January has been pretty good. I'm on my 3rd 5lb bag now.

https://northboundcoffee.com/store/#!/E ... ory=720650