For those that love fruit bomb natural Ethiopian... - Page 7

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
CyrusDrMatt

#61: Post by CyrusDrMatt » May 01, 2019, 9:27 pm

yakster wrote:What some call fruit bomb, others consider ferment defect. I fall on the fruit bomb side, generally
With no offense, this one is more like a ferment defect. nothing like fruit bomb for brew at least. I got a Kenya from Intelligentsia, a true fruit bomb but double price ...

clc12rock

#62: Post by clc12rock » May 08, 2019, 9:23 am

new2espresso wrote:Would you mind sharing your Behmor settings for this coffee? Mine is just tasting ok nothing spectacular
Thanks!
I use 55g of coffee for 6 cups. 30 sec preinfusion at 200 degrees.

new2espresso

#63: Post by new2espresso » May 08, 2019, 3:36 pm

Thanks! I'll give it a try with that recipe
Kind regards,
Karan

Jared

#64: Post by Jared » May 08, 2019, 10:06 pm

I've really been enjoying the Ethiopian. Blueberry in both smell and taste is quite interesting. I typically go for blends, but this makes me want to get some more SOs to try.

I'm currently at 204 F, 18g in, 32g out, 18g VST, with 6 sec PI and 30-32 total shot time.

I have a couple of Mason jars of the Tiger Rose blend in the freezer which will be up next though.

cpreston

#65: Post by cpreston » May 20, 2019, 10:20 am

I ordered three bags of the Ethiopian, about a week or two apart each. The first one was spectacular, a wild fruit bomb. The second one was quite good - milder. And the most recent one is just fairly good... even less fruit, more of a generic brightness. Still nice, but not worth reordering again.

Has anyone else seen this change?

jpender

#66: Post by jpender » May 20, 2019, 12:30 pm

Good that it's worked for you. I ended up throwing most of mine into the compost. It tasted decent for a short while then I couldn't get it to work anymore. I still have a pound in the freezer but I'm not excited about drinking it. Too bad as the coffees that I've loved the most in the past were Ethiopian naturals. Not this one though.

Peppersass
Supporter ♡

#67: Post by Peppersass » May 20, 2019, 3:31 pm

Interesting. Seems like the Northbound Worka has a relatively short shelf-life. This may be characteristic of certain naturals. I've experienced similar reduction in blueberry flavor with other naturals, like Ethiopian Idido. First time I bought bags of that one from a high-end roaster I was blown away by the blueberry flavor. Bags purchased a few weeks later weren't quite as powerful. Bags purchased after that had lost virtually all of the blueberry.

There was plenty of blueberry in the first 6-oz of the two 12-oz bags I ordered from Northbound. I froze the rest in chamber vacuum-sealed jars. Blueberry was still present in the first 6oz I defrosted, but little less so. The blueberry continued to decrease with each jar, until the last one, which had been in the freeze for a couple of months, lost all but a tad of the berry flavor.

As posted earlier, I also bought 10 lbs of the Worka greens from Northbound. I divided the beans into three vacuum-sealed bags. Two had as much vacuum and my sealer can do (90%+), and were frozen immediately. I roasted four batches from the third bag, then resealed it with only a partial vacuum. The best of the first four 175g (net 149g) batches had distinct blueberry flavor, but I didn't get it roasted quite as light as Northbound did, so it didn't have quite as much punch. The other three batches were way too dark and had virtually no fruit flavor. A few weeks later (yesterday), I roasted four more batches. It'll be interesting to see if there's been any deterioration in the greens in that time, and even more interesting to compare those roasts to roasts from the frozen greens, which should not have deteriorated at all.

I have a feeling Northbound doesn't freeze it's greens. George Howell swears that greens do deteriorate faster than many roasters think, so he freezes all of his greens. I suspect it's even more important to do that with naturals that can lose their distinctive flavor over time.

MB

#68: Post by MB » May 20, 2019, 11:30 pm

I just opened a bag that was roasted on May 14, and got that wonderful berry bomb. The bag I had before was a little less in intensity, and although it lost some pizzazz after being pulled from regularly while in the freezer, it was still tasty. This latest one is excellent. I froze it first and my initial grind setting made the pull take longer. However, this was not to its detriment, so maybe a bit finer grind and slower pull is helpful (on a spring lever anyway).
LMWDP #472