For those that love fruit bomb natural Ethiopian... - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
spressomon (original poster)

#11: Post by spressomon (original poster) »

^ Yes, its a fine line between the two. But when its done right...
No Espresso = Depresso

#12: Post by spressomon (original poster) »

Pulled one shot this morning at 3-1/2/4 days post roast and I taste potential! Fruit and sweetness is there but behind a cloak of grassiness, etc., and all things too soon tasting. Looking forward to tasting at 10+ days post roast. More to follow.
No Espresso = Depresso

Advertisement
lfholland

#13: Post by lfholland »

I picked up a bag of this stuff (roasted on 3/19) and pulled my first two shots today.

18 grams in 18 g VST basket with the temp set at 204. Stopped the second shot around 28 grams and ~35 seconds.

I had the grind a little too fine especially for the first shot, but even it had strong blueberry jam flavors. The second shot was even better and had a great creamy mouthfeel in addition to the blueberry. Will probably try to grind a little coarser tomorrow to try to get rid of the slight sour undertones.

What parameters are you using?

#14: Post by spressomon (original poster) »

^ 18g dose into 20g VST basket (with longer pre-brew it needs considerable space above the puck to expand), 199° (Slayer displayed temp), 20-second pre-brew, 30-32g espresso over 37-39 seconds brew mode. Today's shots were at 7-days post roast (my 5# bag was roasted on 3/18) and each day older the results are getting more: Fruity, sweet and delicious. And yes, the mouthfeel is syrupy/thick using the above brew perimeters.

I'm getting brown sugar, same blueberry/blackberry jam, milk chocolate and some tasty warm baking spice I can't seem to describe/put words to.

I love it and think its a bargain!
No Espresso = Depresso

mdmvrockford

#15: Post by mdmvrockford »

spressomon wrote:They just posted limited availability today on IG. I ordered 5#...and given what I've tasted from Keith & Jen at Northbound Coffee Roasters (Shasta, CA) before for all things fruit bomb natural Ethiopians it should be a winner...and a relative bargain.

https://northboundcoffee.com/store/#!/E ... ory=720650
Thanks for the heads up!!
LMWDP #568

#16: Post by spressomon (original poster) »

Ok, curious to hear from others but the peak of flavor seems to be at 6-8 days post roast. This morning, at 9-days, sweet jammy-ness and overall depth of flavor & various profiles have fallen off considerably...
No Espresso = Depresso

Radio.YYZ

#17: Post by Radio.YYZ »

spressomon wrote:They just posted limited availability today on IG. I ordered 5#...and given what I've tasted from Keith & Jen at Northbound Coffee Roasters (Shasta, CA) before for all things fruit bomb natural Ethiopians it should be a winner...and a relative bargain.

https://northboundcoffee.com/store/#!/E ... ory=720650
I am using the Yirgacheffe Worka here in toronto and its not as fruit forward as the sidam ardi i have had but its pretty well balanced. The green beans just smelt like honey berry jam. Roasted to light-medium its heavy body, honey, malt, blueberry, raspberry. Very tasty.
spressomon wrote:Ok, curious to hear from others but the peak of flavor seems to be at 6-8 days post roast. This morning, at 9-days, sweet jammy-ness and overall depth of flavor & various profiles have fallen off considerably...
It's true almost all coffees that have a fruit forward flavour profile drop off their flavour after a week or so.

I have tried freezing the beans which accelerates the flavour profile drop, i am testing out vacuum sealing them. I am at day 7 post roast, with 2-3 days without vacuum sealing and currently all of it is vacuum sealed. I will report back if i can prolong the flavour profile.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

Advertisement

#18: Post by spressomon (original poster) »

So, this morning at 10-days post roast, I upped the dose to 19.5g, coarsened the grind a bit (from 2.5 to 3.0 on my Monolith Flat; 350rpm) and shortened the pre-brew to 15-seconds with all machine settings the same. 30g shot weight over about 42-seconds and although the intensity of the flavors isn't where it was at peak its certainly nice...and worthy.
No Espresso = Depresso

clc12rock

#19: Post by clc12rock »

Nice, just ordered some. Thanks for the heads up! I love fruity Ethiopians.

gr2020

#20: Post by gr2020 »

Just got some in, roasted 3/25, will try it tomorrow or Saturday...

I love how it says "fair warning: fruit bomb!" on the label!