For first try of Nordic roast coffee, Wendelboe worth it over Sey - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Acavia (original poster)

#21: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

I brewed the Wendelboe Nacimiento Bourbon today. I probably ground too coarse but still very good coffee. Clean, easy to drink. I am confused on the roast level. Per the color of the brewed coffee, and the color of the beans, it was probably roasted lighter than average but nothing unusual, and I suspect I have had other coffees as light or possibly lighter roasted.

Is Nordic roast level not really a niche to itself?

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by walr00s » replying to Acavia »

A bit disappointed to hear this. I have a bag of this coffee on the way. I assume that Nordic style roast is popular enough that at least some of the roasters around here are emulating it for some of their coffees. I had hoped the Wendelboe would be easy to distinguish from coffees I've had from Levercraft, Figure 8, and other Austin area roasters. Sounds like that won't be true. I still look forward to playing around with it, just have slightly lower expectations for the novelty of it. How long did you have to wait for yours to get here?

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
Acavia (original poster)

#23: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

walr00s wrote: A bit disappointed to hear this. I have a bag of this coffee on the way. I assume that Nordic style roast is popular enough that at least some of the roasters around here are emulating it for some of their coffees. I had hoped the Wendelboe would be easy to distinguish from coffees I've had from Levercraft, Figure 8, and other Austin area roasters. Sounds like that won't be true. I still look forward to playing around with it, just have slightly lower expectations for the novelty of it. How long did you have to wait for yours to get here?
I might have overstated it not standing out. I probably had one or two other coffees as light, most were not. I was expecting noticeably lighter beans but based on on roast charts, my expectations were wrong, not the beans. As clean as the coffee was - refreshing/sparkling would be adjectives I would use, it seems to be free of defects. I am a layperson with not much coffee experience, so I might be using those coffee terms wrongly but that is what I think those terms means, and how I taste this coffee. There was nothing bad in the coffee, I would want to lessen. Instead of would want to increase all in it, which going finer should do. So I think while other coffees might be similar roast level, I suspect this one was done so more optimally.

Acavia (original poster)

#24: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

walr00s wrote: How long did you have to wait for yours to get here?
I ordered it Monday evening, Central time, so a few hours before their Tuesday morning. I choose DHL shipping, the ~$26 US option. I received it Yesterday. It required signature but even though I was home, I placed a note on my door stating I expected a DHL delivery, added that day's date, asking to give me a minute to get to door. The person just left the package, and from looking at tracking, it seemed the person signed it as me. So if not going to be home, and you used DHL, you could try that. Per Wendelboe's FAQ on shipping, the Norwegian post take a few days more, although they warn about virus delays but that might have been written some time ago. I will probably choose that, as that DHL postage adds ~$20 US to the order, on my next order.

Acavia (original poster)

#25: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

walr00s wrote: A bit disappointed to hear this. I have a bag of this coffee on the way. I assume that Nordic style roast is popular enough that at least some of the roasters around here are emulating it for some of their coffees. I had hoped the Wendelboe would be easy to distinguish from coffees I've had from Levercraft, Figure 8, and other Austin area roasters. Sounds like that won't be true. I still look forward to playing around with it, just have slightly lower expectations for the novelty of it. How long did you have to wait for yours to get here?
Also do not panic when you see the roast date. It is in European format day-month-year. For a split second, I thought I had 8 months old coffee.

mathof

#26: Post by mathof »

Acavia wrote:I brewed the Wendelboe Nacimiento Bourbon today. I probably ground too coarse but still very good coffee. Clean, easy to drink. I am confused on the roast level. Per the color of the brewed coffee, and the color of the beans, it was probably roasted lighter than average but nothing unusual, and I suspect I have had other coffees as light or possibly lighter roasted.

Is Nordic roast level not really a niche to itself?
There may a notable difference between surface colour and the rest of the bean. I measure roast colour with a Tonino meter, which requires ground coffee to get a reading. As I recall, Wendelboe "espresso" roasts that I have measured were among the lightest on the meter's scale, although the exteriors didn't strike me as ultra-light.

Tj.

#27: Post by Tj. »

Exterior color is not a complete representation of development
and can not be used to judge the roast between different roasters or even bean origins. Taste is king there but there are other metrics to visually inspect coffee beans at home such as density and expansion. I'm not an expert roaster but there is something about the length of dehydration as well as bean origin and how it was processed.

TW beans are dense and less expanded than most other roasts categorized as light. The taste in the cup is clean and can be pushed to very high extractions without any notice of bitterness or burnt characteristics. TW is reliable and always excellent which is what stands them out in a crowd. I have found US roasted coffees which visually match the density and development but they tend to be inconsistent and have noticeable defects in the cup.

With the rise of third-wave coffee in America, more and more roasters are attempting to match international "gold standards" such as TW. Others, Verve for example, have good coffee with entirely different taste goals.

I personally drink more Sey than anything else because they are more local for me, trustworthy, and share my taste preferences.

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
Acavia (original poster)

#28: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

On recommendations from others for this coffee, I diluted Third Wave Water 50% with straight distilled water to brew this coffee. Wendelboe Nacimiento Bourbon went from creamy sweet to a bright, fruity sweet, winey tart and floral coffee, as its tasting notes read.

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by walr00s »

I ordered my Nacimiento Bourbon on the 14th of April and received it on the 30th, using the nordic post option. To me, it tastes a good bit like grapefruit, which I enjoy, but also a bit woody. I suppose this may be the wine tasting note, which I'm not very fond of. Can't say I've ever had anything else quite like it. I'll play around with it more when I'm awake and see if I can get something I like a bit more out of it.