Fellow Atmos and other air removal coffee storage solutions - are they hurting more than helping? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
TallDan

#11: Post by TallDan »

walr00s wrote:Doesn't the James Hoffmann video suggest that simple airtight jars perform the worst in terms of results in cup?
Unless I misunderstood his video, Hoffman put the coffee in the storage devices once, then let them sit for a substantial period of time. He did not open and close the containers on daily basis, which is what I understand to be the basis of the OP's concern.

Hoffman also said that the difference between all options was not very big.
★ Helpful

fuzzylittlemanpeach8 (original poster)

#12: Post by fuzzylittlemanpeach8 (original poster) »

Yeah, this video was what led me to buy one in the first place. But I think the key difference here is that he only opens the containers once. In real daily use, the containers are opened multiple times a day.

fuzzylittlemanpeach8 (original poster)

#13: Post by fuzzylittlemanpeach8 (original poster) »

Yeah, I've seen the little vial looking tubes for single dosing. It's certainly not a bad idea, especially with a single dosing workflow. I haven't really looked into any products like it myself yet.

chanty 77

#14: Post by chanty 77 »

Rytopa wrote:My personal experience with the airscape mirrors your experience. The beans stored in aggressive pressurising and depressurising stale much faster as compared to the normal bags they come in. Try it on a obvious smelling sweet natural, each time you push out the air, you get a nice blast of sweet aroma coming out from the container, multiple times over a few days the smell eventually get duller and duller. Now the same bean in the normal bag opened with the same frequency still maintains the aroma.

My take on such containers is to store beans in them for longer term storage, minimise the opening and closing of it. When needed to take out the beans, transfer them to a normal valve bag and use from there

After a lot of researching, I ended up buying an Airscape container that holds a pound of beans. I buy 2 lbs of beans that last me one month. So I keep the one pound in the original bag and then put that bag in a ziplock storage bag in a dark cupboard. The other pound goes in the Airscape without the bag. I would say the pound in the Airscape is in there for one month from the point of storage to when I finish it. Haven't noticed a real dip in freshness. When I am done with the pound in the bag/ziplock, I then start using the Airscape beans. I only have one drink per day, so the container only gets opened one time per day. Do you think I would be better off not using the Airscape and just keeping the 2nd pound in its unopened original sealed bag until I open it 2 weeks after I receive it, and then follow same procedure as first pound (keeping beans in original bag and putting in ziplock bag in dark cupboard)? thanks.

Dpablo

#15: Post by Dpablo »

I feel dubious as to the claim that an Atmos could pull CO2 from beans causing them to stale quicker. I do think that by changing the atmosphere (no pun intended) in the tin, the beans likely slow the staling process. For me, the shots I'm pulling are so much better two weeks post-roast than they've ever been.

jpender

#16: Post by jpender »

fuzzylittlemanpeach8 wrote:Yeah, this video was what led me to buy one in the first place. But I think the key difference here is that he only opens the containers once. In real daily use, the containers are opened multiple times a day.

There are a number of possible criticisms one could make of Mr. Hoffmann's experiment but that's not one of them. It's unfortunate that he didn't say so in the video but he did write about it in the comments section:

James Hoffmann wrote:The containers were opened regularly during the six weeks to mimic daily usage.

Now the criticisms: He tested 6 week old coffee. He only did this test once. So it's quite possible that he would have gotten a different result if he'd tried it with fresher coffee or if he'd tried it again with 6 week old coffee or even just tried it again the next day with the same beans. I can understand why he didn't want to repeat this multiple times but it makes his results a lot less convincing, particularly since he admitted that the differences in taste were very slight.

At the end he concludes that the vacuum storage devices were ever so slightly better but says that for him:

James Hoffmann wrote:I'm probably happy storing coffee inside a resealable bag.

chanty 77

#17: Post by chanty 77 »

After a lot of researching, I ended up buying an Airscape container that holds a pound of beans. I buy 2 lbs of beans that last me one month. So I keep the one pound in the original bag and then put that bag in a ziplock storage bag in a dark cupboard. The other pound goes in the Airscape without the bag. I would say the pound in the Airscape is in there for one month from the point of storage to when I finish it. Haven't noticed a real dip in freshness. When I am done with the pound in the bag/ziplock, I then start using the Airscape beans. I only have one drink per day, so the container only gets opened one time per day. Do you think I would be better off not using the Airscape and just keeping the 2nd pound in its unopened original sealed bag until I open it 2 weeks after I receive it, and then follow same procedure as first pound (keeping beans in original bag and putting in ziplock bag in dark cupboard)? thanks.
********************UNFORTUNATELY I CANNOT DELETE THE POST, BUT IT IS INCORRECT, IGNORE THIS, LEFT A CORRECTED POST, BUT SOMEHOW IT DISAPPEARED*****************************

jpender

#18: Post by jpender »

chanty 77 wrote:Do you think I would be better off not using the Airscape and just keeping the 2nd pound in its unopened original sealed bag until I open it 2 weeks after I receive it...

Yes. You may not even be able to tell taste-wise but there's no way that using an Airscape will be better than an unopened sealed bag. You're just putting the beans in an oxygen atmosphere unnecessarily.

chanty 77

#19: Post by chanty 77 »

jpender wrote: Yes. You may not even be able to tell taste-wise but there's no way that using an Airscape will be better than an unopened sealed bag. You're just putting the beans in an oxygen atmosphere unnecessarily.
Okay thanks, will try that with my new order coming any day. If it tastes fresher, then will maybe use my Airscape for flour or sugar ......

TallDan

#20: Post by TallDan »

I use the airscape containers and I like them. Since I roast at home, my roasted coffee doesn't come in bags, so it goes right into an airscape once cooled. I think they are good for what they are, and i think they're more convenient than bags. I wouldn't hesitate to use them once a bag of coffee is opened, but I wouldn't open the bag until you're ready to start using it.