Favorite Seattle area coffee roasters?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
PhotoMax

#1: Post by PhotoMax »

TItle says it. Looking for solid Seattle roasters, etc. Northend preferred...

Thanks!!!

Chabeau
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Chabeau »

Now that Neptune is gone I have been mostly getting Kuma from Central Market in Shoreline. They're one of the most underrated roasters I've had, and Central Market usually has a good selection of freshly-roasted Kuma at a good price.

Can't go wrong with Slate either (Ballard & UW locations are north-ish).

If I'm in Lynwood I try to stop by Seattle Coffee Gear as they stock some really good local nonlocal roasters.
"The percolations are imminent."

-C.M. Burns, c.1996

Advertisement
PhotoMax (original poster)

#3: Post by PhotoMax (original poster) »

Thanks! Central Market is amazing. I will look to see if their sister store, Ballard Market, has Kuma. I shop there about four times a week...

Bret

#4: Post by Bret »

I'm fortunate enough to live about a mile from a roaster, but it's probably more north of Seattle than you are looking for: Red Door Coffee in a little strip mall in Everett. He roasts every day, so I always get the beans on day of roast, and sometimes (like last week) within one or two hours of roasting.

For my taste, it stands above all of the go-to online roasters I have tried, though a couple have come close. So if you are ever up in the area, worth a stop.

Chert

#5: Post by Chert »

Chabeau wrote:Now that Neptune is gone I have been mostly getting Kuma from Central Market in Shoreline. They're one of the most underrated roasters I've had, and Central Market usually has a good selection of freshly-roasted Kuma at a good price.

Can't go wrong with Slate either (Ballard & UW locations are north-ish).

If I'm in Lynwood I try to stop by Seattle Coffee Gear as they stock some really good local nonlocal roasters.
+1 Kuma does a great job.

Velton's roasts in Everett.

I was in Seattle and scored a bag of Kuma at Milstead & Co in Fremont and one from Velton's at Sound Morsel at 53rd and University U District. Both very fresh and excellent.
LMWDP #198

borisblank

#6: Post by borisblank »

Lighthouse Roasters!

http://lighthouseroasters.com/

Tucked in between Fremont and Phinney Ridge, up on the hill and near the Zoo and Woodland Park, Lighthouse is a fantastic small local roaster with a great cafe where they know their coffees and brew to order. They ship coffee, too! It's off the beaten path a bit but in a great part of Seattle in which to visit and hang out. Enjoy!

PhotoMax (original poster)

#7: Post by PhotoMax (original poster) »

Thanks all!

Advertisement
grog

#8: Post by grog »

Victrola's Steamline Espresso is one of my favorite espresso blends from anywhere. Their SOs are also excellent. They have 3 locations around the city.

I'm also another Kuma vote, I've been a fan of their coffees for several years now. Empire Espresso in Columbia City always has a good selection of their beans.

Elm Coffee Roasters in Pioneer Square are also doing some very good roasts. Slate, as others have mentioned, are great too.

And although they aren't Seattle-based, Olympia Coffee Roasters have some awesome stuff and you can get their beans at Honor Coffee in Benaroya Hall, of all places.
LMWDP #514

caldwa

#9: Post by caldwa »

All of the recommendations so far have been great, but I'd also add Ladro Roasting. They're sourcing some really nice direct-trade coffees, and every coffee I have had from them in the past year has been very well-roasted.