Favorite Dark Oily Espresso Blends - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
mkrissel

#11: Post by mkrissel »

I have been enjoying the Bromo Espresso from Parry. Very delicious.

Definitely worth a try and you will be supporting a small roaster.

https://www.parrycoffeeroasters.com

RyanP

#12: Post by RyanP »

IMAWriter wrote: or the always consistently good "Dolce Espresso" from Espresso Vivace Roasterie.
That was the first blend I thought of... consistent, easy to pull, not over priced, sweet chocolate and caramel.

dominico
Team HB

#13: Post by dominico »

Most dark and oily blends that I have tried have been rather bad, one that really pleasantly surprised me was Kimbo Top Flavour. I found it tasted best as a super tight ristretto.

The other one that I can think of offhand was Vivace Dolce.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

TomC
Team HB

#14: Post by TomC »

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

IMAWriter

#15: Post by IMAWriter replying to TomC »

+1.
Wonder why they eliminated one of their 2 espresso blends?
Not the cheapest as there is no discount for 5lbs,nor cheaper shipping option, but on the other hand her previous experience roasting for Mr Schomer, VERY consistent, easy drinking coffee.

jenjava (original poster)

#16: Post by jenjava (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll be ordering and trying most if not all of these recommendations.

:mrgreen:

osel

#17: Post by osel »

IMAWriter wrote:"Dolce Espresso" from Espresso Vivace Roasterie.

I have this now for first time. Looked up roaster's comments, he recommends 203f... 17g in 1.5-1.8oz out in 25 seconds. 203 is the hottest recommendation I ever saw so far. Hilariously the first time I tried it before dialing in I got 2 oz in about 15 seconds... and it was lovely, oily, dark and sweet. Just like OP wants. :lol:

TomC
Team HB

#18: Post by TomC »

osel wrote:I have this now for first time. Looked up roaster's comments, he recommends 203f... 17g in 1.5-1.8oz out in 25 seconds. 203 is the hottest recommendation I ever saw so far. Hilariously the first time I tried it before dialing in I got 2 oz in about 15 seconds... and it was lovely, oily, dark and sweet. Just like OP wants. :lol:

Mr Espresso recommends 212 on their three espresso blends and I can verify that it is indeed needed. I recommend people not get too hung up on the adage of using lower temp brew water for darker roasts and hotter for lighter roasts, it's not always the case. Especially in espresso. It's perhaps more common in filter/immersion brew techniques.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

IMAWriter

#19: Post by IMAWriter »

I don't think I can even get my Micro casa a leva that hot!!! :lol:

IMAWriter

#20: Post by IMAWriter »

osel wrote:I have this now for first time. Looked up roaster's comments, he recommends 203f... 17g in 1.5-1.8oz out in 25 seconds. 203 is the hottest recommendation I ever saw so far. Hilariously the first time I tried it before dialing in I got 2 oz in about 15 seconds... and it was lovely, oily, dark and sweet. Just like OP wants. :lol:
Go for 25 or so seconds. A moderately slow pour...not drip drip, my best results are with the flow starting as a nic slow but constant stream that grows a bit wider as it progresses. Pull the cup at 40 grams isn you want greater viscosity. Years ago, the crema was reddish from some added robusta. Mr Schomer eliminated the robusta probably 7-8 years ago, maybe more.

Did I also mention Josuma's Malabar Gold? You can stand a spoon up in that famous blend.