Ethiopia struggles

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Leelo77

#1: Post by Leelo77 »

Is it typical for Ethiopia to be going through such turmoil.
As coffee buyers is there anything we can do?
Will this affect us buying their coffee beans?

tennisman03110

#2: Post by tennisman03110 »

No. This is a coffee forum. Maybe you have good intentions, however it's not related to coffee.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
Leelo77 (original poster)

#3: Post by Leelo77 (original poster) »

You clearly either misunderstood the post. Or are just trolling.
Buying from certain regions or farmers. Buying fair or direct trade.
If a certain region has a history of poor quality when there is conflict or more severe humanitarian issues.
I simply don't know enough and have a bit of a broad question

tennisman03110

#4: Post by tennisman03110 »

I'm not trolling. If anything, I thought you were.

As an individual consumer, I don't know what impact you can have to overall issues. Maybe that's insensitive, but my opinion.

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

Coffee is grown in tropical countries that often have weak states and riven civil societies. Right now, it is Yemen, Ethiopia, and Guatemala that are in deep trouble; but trouble is never far away from most of the growing countries. These troubles rarely affect the supply we get in the consuming countries, since everyone -- saints, monsters, good guys and bad guys -- are happy to trade. The question is where should we draw the line when it comes to buying from corrupt or violent actors?

The traditional take is that commerce stabilizes and creates peace, so that trading with tyrants and other bad actors tends to make them better in the long run. But this tendency is so long run, and with so many exceptions, that it pays to be selective. The simplest way to do this is to check out your coffee roasters and greens suppliers; are they buying coffee from growers and distributors who are committed to just and environmentally sound practices? Check their websites, email them. Most of the vendors you will meet on this site have this commitment, and you can be fairly confident when buying coffee from them. But when a roaster or greens vendor says nothing about their sourcing; you are right to ask questions.
Jim Schulman

Leelo77 (original poster)

#6: Post by Leelo77 (original poster) »

Thank you! Great answer!

Tj.

#7: Post by Tj. »

For what it's worth, I don't think your question is off topic for the forum. Buying from environmental sources is a popular discussion but like the previous person said, the consumer isn't buying directly from the source. So we as consumers should pay the extra few pennies to buy from roasteries who take the time to research the farms they source from. I have read some articles on politics and coffee but that scale is quite large and the driving sources are the cheap mass produced coffees. Because the farms are often so disconnected from politics and war, it may be a good thing supporting a village of innocent people who may be under hard times rather than trying to reduce their only income.

Just my two cents, don't put much weight on it.

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
happycat

#8: Post by happycat »

I've read quite a bit since I use 100% Ethiopian Yirgacheffe green coffee that I have for years bought from Ethiopians who run a market in my city. The last time I saw them, they were not the same... the owner was very distracted. In the past he has encouraged me to come back and share the flavours I experienced with his coffee.

I view the circumstances in Ethiopia as quite relevant to the coffee forum for obvious reasons. They are the origin of coffee. I buy all my green coffee from them. I have taken the coffee ceremony several times, and a number of meals in various Ethiopian restaurants. I have chatted with an Ethiopian cafe owner about his imports and the origins of coffee. He even asked if I had an Ethiopian girlfriend. I bought a jebena and learned how roast a pan of coffee by hand and brew coffee traditionally. All of this curiosity and exploration was driven by coffee and helps me understand how my choices relate to a people, culture and country.

Some good material in the New York Times but it's behind a paywall.

You might find this Vox article a decent overview once you get past the intro. It has a more contextualized coverage and balance based on the many sources I've read.

https://www.vox.com/22370629/ethiopia-t ... -cleansing

My coffee comes from the Southern Nations Nationalites and Peoples Region, a southwestern region far from the ethnic conflict in the north, which involves longstanding disputes among Amhara and Tigray (as well as the neighbouring countries of Eritrea and Sudan).
LMWDP #603