Essse Caffe's Miscela Masini - Suggestions please

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Jebez
Supporter

#1: Post by Jebez »

Greetings friends.
I recently purchased a bag of Essse Caffe's Miscela Masini from Cerini Coffee in NYC (the beans were roasted in Aprol 2023), and pulled a Ristretto last night (Ristrettos are what I typically enjoy). I don't often achieve success with Italian roasts - and last night was no exception. Perhaps a Ristretto is not ideal for this type of blend.
I pulled an 18g dose at 192 degrees for 38 seconds (too fine a grind).
I would really appreciate any suggestions or guidelines with regard to dose, ratio, temperature, and time for this blend - or any comparable dark, somewhat oily, Italian roast.
Thank you in advance.

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

You'll get no joy using overstuffed precision baskets with conventional Italian blends. Pull out a conventional 14 gram double or 7 gram single, dose them nominally, and adjust the grind to get properly flowing shots. You may not love the result, since you may not like medium-dark robuata blends; but I guarantee it will be a laid back and very palatable shot.
Jim Schulman

Jebez (original poster)
Supporter

#3: Post by Jebez (original poster) replying to another_jim »

Thank you Jim. Can you suggest a temp?
Also, I'm assuming that I should go for 42 grams out from 14 grams of coffee. Correct?

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

I usually run at 92C (197F), but I don't do a lot of temperature surfing. I think you had a typo, go for roughly 28 grams out.
Jim Schulman