Espresso Napoletano and Thoughts - Page 23

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
airmoses83
Supporter ♡

#221: Post by airmoses83 »

cskorton wrote:I'm still playing with it to get it really dialed in, but I am finding it to be a little bitter, so maybe that's why I'm liking it pulled tighter since that brings out more sweetness. Honestly though, a bit of bitterness is to be expected because of the high robusta content. I don't think it's because of my LR's higher brew temp, it's not burned. I bet with a few more days of dialing it in I can eliminate most of the bitterness. For reference, the picture above is only my third shot with the new bag. I was also surprised that such a dark roast could handle such a long preinfusion. Eventually I'll play with it with higher dosed VST baskets and higher preinfusion pressures, which goes against logic, but who knows!
Do you have the thermosiphon disk in the loop to reduce the temp? I have my LR set to 1 bar pre infusion. I may try raising pre infusion slightly.

drH

#222: Post by drH »

I'm curious to know if you can get by without that restrictor disk. I've tried these blends on the cremina at about 1bar and <5s preinfusion and pulling the shot short. This combination seems to work well.

cskorton

#223: Post by cskorton »

airmoses83 wrote:Do you have the thermosiphon disk in the loop to reduce the temp? I have my LR set to 1 bar pre infusion. I may try raising pre infusion slightly.
I do not have the hx disk that drops the group head temperature. I've found that whenever I try to mess with things, it never turns out well for me personally, however ymmv, haha.

airmoses83
Supporter ♡

#224: Post by airmoses83 replying to cskorton »

If you drink primarily dark roasts Reiss recommends it.

cskorton

#225: Post by cskorton replying to airmoses83 »

Yes, that is true. But variety is the spice of life! I love everything from these couple bags of Saka I have, to some washed Ethiopians and very light roasts. So with that I think it makes sense for me personally to not install the restrictor.

drH

#226: Post by drH replying to cskorton »

I agree. I say keep the variety and have something like a Robot on the side for travel and the occasional dark roast.

cskorton

#227: Post by cskorton »

I've been mildly obsessed with Napoli style espresso as of late probably due to a longing for travel and adventure (and the bags of Saka I had). I came across the "Napoli Coffee Challenge" that was done in December.

Has anyone tried any of these bars? They also list which roaster they use:

https://www.larcimboldo.it/2020/12/15/ ... challenge/

PODIUM

1st place : Bar Mexico (Piazza Dante) - Passalacqua coffee

2nd place : U Bar (Colli Aminei) - Verré coffee

3rd place : Chalet Ciro 1952 (Central Station) - Toraldo coffee

SPECIAL AWARDS

Best Service : Ke Kafé (Galleria Umberto I) - Kremoso coffee

Most beautiful location : Gran Caffè la Caffettiera (Piazza dei Martiri) - Kimbo coffee

CLASSIFICATION OF municipalities À

First Municipality : Gran Caffè La Caffettiera (Piazza dei Martiri) - Kimbo coffee

Second Municipality : Bar Mexico (Piazza Dante) - Passalacqua coffee

Third Municipality : U Bar (Colli Aminei) - Verré coffee

Fourth Municipality : Chalet Ciro 1952 (Central Station) - Toraldo coffee

Fifth Municipality : Mexico Gran Caffè degli Artisti (Via San Gennaro in Antignano) - Passalacqua coffee

Sixth Municipality : Civic Bar 910 (Via Argine) - Lavazza coffee

Seventh Municipality EX AEQUO : Gran Caffè Secondigliano (Via F.lli Rosselli) - Caffè Vergnano; Small Chalet (Corso Secondigliano) - Toraldo coffee

Eighth Municipality : Officina del Caffè (Via Santa Maria a Cubito) - Kenon coffee

Ninth Municipality : Caffè Liano (Via Cornelia dei Gracchi) - Illy coffee

Tenth Municipality : Bar San Domingo (Viale Campi Flregrei) - Alcima coffee

cskorton

#228: Post by cskorton »

I also came across this excellent article in English that is definitely worth a read:

https://www.freshcup.com/the-coffee-cu ... of-naples/

IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#229: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I am offended Cafe Ciorfito was not mentioned on Spaccanapoli (Toraldo Linea Rossa), probably the best one out there in Naples
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#230: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I have a second group buy started for anyone interested in trying Saka out or wanting more but not 6kg more :lol:
[FS] Saka Caffe Group Order V2
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612