Espresso Napoletano and Thoughts - Page 11

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Dragon

#101: Post by Dragon »

@IamOiman, this spring I will be on Amalfi Coast (staying in Atrani but travelling along the coast), I will arrive there from Rome airport to Salerno (I don't know yet if I'll pass through Napoli)

Do you know some good beans to buy in Salerno,maybe local roasters there which have similar napoletan style coffee (or on Amalfi Coast)?

IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#102: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Hi Dragos. I am not sure what companies are in Amalfi area but if you go to Naples I recommend buying a bag of Passalacqua from one of many Bar Mexicos scattered through the city. They may be a little expensive but they are pretty good in my opinion.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Dragon

#103: Post by Dragon »

Thanks for the reply. I've tried Passalacqua, it's great, but I can already buy it in my home country for a decent price, as well as Kimbo, Borbone and Izzo.

Do you know where in Napoli can I buy single 1kg bags of napoletan coffee from smaller, less-known roasters?

Team HB

#104: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

If you truly want to try some Neapolitan Roasts (like Oro di Napoli), walk into a bar in Naples that has a roast you may want. Buy a caffè and if you like it you can ask the barista if they can sell you a bag. Make sure it is the 1kg bags as the 3kg bags are insanely large and cost more. If you are nice and appear interested they will usually do it.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

adamkovacs

#105: Post by adamkovacs »

@IamOiman Do you think it is possible for SAKA caffè to deliver to the UK? I would love to get my hands on some fresh Neapolitan roast especially after seeing your photos...

Team HB

#106: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Yes they do ship within Europe. You will likely need to do an IBAN transfer to pay Saka and they will ship a minimum of 6kg. I will be doing this from now on since my friend who shipped the coffee to me is moving.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Team HB

#107: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I ordered my next shipment February 14, ie the day I initiated a wire transfer. After seven business days the payment was received, but Saka began prepping shipment before then, and to my shock and surprise less than a week passed from it being shipped and I had a box of coffee on my doorstep from Italy this Monday. I was told it normally took three weeks so I am more than pleased. I calculated even with the small wire fee and shipping costs I am paying less per pound for importing coffee from Italy rather than buying domestically (something like $13-14 per pound, less if I buy more than 6kg).

I know I have said this in the past, but I saw a few people are interested in securing a bag(s) to try themselves. I did not order extra coffee this time as I wanted to make sure the wiring and shipping would work the first time. The next time I order coffee I can tack on extra bags, and basically you would be paying the amount I pay plus the domestic shipping. I estimate it to be about $40-45 per kg from Italy to your doorstep if at least 6kg of coffee is ordered beyond what I buy for myself. The more coffee I buy at a time the cheaper it becomes overall. Roasting date will still be fresh compared to other imported coffee, usually 1-2 months. I have personally opened bags 6-8 months old and I while I may have a bland palate I have not noticed a difference in taste.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#108: Post by JohnB. »

IamOiman wrote: I calculated even with the small wire fee and shipping costs I am paying less per pound for importing coffee from Italy rather than buying domestically (something like $13-14 per pound, less if I buy more than 6kg).
You might want to try the Nicoletti Espresso blend sometime. It's a medium roast No. Italian style blend with a 25%/75% mix of robusta/Arabica. Cost is $44 for a 5 lb bag including Priority Mail shipping & it is freshly roasted. They also offer a darker roast if you want something closer to a Southern Italian blend.
LMWDP 267

Me2

#109: Post by Me2 »

I'm wondering where Caffe Hausbrandt fits in the mix... 80% arabica20% robusta iirc.

Team HB

#110: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I got a bigger shipment this time, 12kg total due to 4 bags going to HB-ers that were interested in trying it out. As I expected the cost per lb went down, just under $13/lb. The price paid for shipping is worth it as it was sent out Friday afternoon and got here noon today, so just about 3 days for international shipping.

I am interested in trying out a new roast Saka introduced, Tafuri Positano. When I finish my current bag I will take a detailed look at it. Getting a whiff of it from the one-way valve really reminded me of peanut butter with a hint of chocolate.

-Ryan
LMWDP #612