Espresso Napoletano and Thoughts - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#11: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

OldNuc wrote:The 6kg case is not a problem if you own a good freezer but finding a source that has reasonably fresh roast dates in the US is. A minimum of 3 to 6 months past roast date is common and longer has been noted.
I can only get around this with my friendship with my bar manager, who introduced me to Saka Caffè. Since the roaster is so small when I order from them the beans are usually only 1-2 weeks old from roast date (5 days are spent degassing, so I get them about as fresh as possible). I can also buy less than 6 bags with this relationship as well. For me personally I am charged 15 euro ± 3 per kg. If I buy in bulk I can get it for cheaper
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Blacktip

#12: Post by Blacktip »

I have a question:

In Italy, I tried to buy whole bean coffee. I went to several supermarkets, and I couldn't find any. The only coffee available was grind. Coffee bars has big bags (1kg) of Kimbo Bar, but that is it. Even at the airport, I couldn't find whole beans. Eventually, I found a small coffee roaster in Palermo and I bought couple of different beans.

Why is that? Do Italians grind their own coffee?

Team HB

#13: Post by IamOiman (original poster) replying to Blacktip »

This is a cultural thing. Italy is different as they do not purchase proffessional machines and whole beans, as they simply go to the bar for the real stuff. Instead, they use brewers like moka pots or cialde/ESE pods to make coffee/espresso when at home or the office. As a result, the majority of whole beans are sold to commercial bars, and is also the reason why there is a minimum purchase of 6kg of coffee for most roasters. Preground coffee is used instead at home, and is sold in 250g bags in bricks (vacuum sealed).
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

mariobarba

#14: Post by mariobarba »

My shot of Passalacqua this afternoon.

Team HB

#15: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

mariobarba wrote:<image><image>My shot of Passalacqua this afternoon.
I'll counter with my first shot back in the States using Saka Espresso Classico as I wait for my Elektra and Eureka :D

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

redbone

#16: Post by redbone »

The coffee you described seems similar to the espresso shots I had in Sicily. Enjoyed them with a sweet dessert or a found the required a smallish amount of sugar. Had to ask for doubles since the ristretto single barely cleared the back of my tongue.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Moka 1 Cup

#17: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Interesting thread!
I have a question. Other than the "usual" Kimbo, is there any other coffee produced by medium/small roasters napoletani that can be found in the USA, relatively fresh or properly packaged? With properly packaged I mean something similar or equivalent to what Illy does (regardless of the production date I always find it very consistent).

Talking about about Illy, what would you recommend from Napoli that can be compared for intensity to Illy Dark Roast (if you have ever tried it of course)?
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

Team HB

#18: Post by IamOiman (original poster) replying to Moka 1 Cup »

I can always tout my approval for the local brand I use, Saka Caffè. I can personally order less than 6 bags but that is only because I am close friends with the owner. She will ship to the US, and the benefit of using this local roaster is since they are so small their small stockpile of roasted coffee is never more than 2-3 weeks old, which I find to be the most optimal date for using the coffee after its degassing period. I have never tried Illy dark roast, but my experience with the company is their roasts are a little lighter than most Neapolitan Roasts. Saka's roasts are light for Naples, and I think it may be comparable in darkness if that is what you search for.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

OldNuc

#19: Post by OldNuc »

If you happen to consume sufficient coffee to go through 6 1Kg bags in 4 to 6 months you can open 1 and freeze the other 5 with no noticeable degradation.

cafemolino

#20: Post by cafemolino »

nice topic!

this is another good Napoletano
http://www.caffeizzo.it/eng/index.php