El Injerto Best of Guatemala

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

I just placed my order directly from El Injerto for their COE 1st place winning Geisha (washed), as well as their espresso blend and Pandora Premium Pacamara. Looking forward to trying all of these. I like their model of them keeping the operations vertical and thus, hopefully more of my dollars end up directly benefiting the farmers and workers there.

DHL shipping for my order was $19

I'll share my thoughts when they arrive.

Cultivated at 1910 meters above sea level in the Huehue plateau, respecting the origin of these seeds, planting them in the soil most similar to their origin in Africa. We have selected only the grin tip plants to obtain our seed to ensure a brighter and clearer flavor.

This is the classic Geisha, originally from the Gesha people in Ethiopia, it came to Costa Rica and then to Panama for its characteristics of resistance to oxidation. Our seeds came from Panama and adapted very well in El Injerto.

Fantastic floral aroma, very soft and delicate like tea. Lots of jasmine, mandarin and fruity flavor, light body and hints of honey.

- Genuine hand picked

- Washing process

- Soaked for 24 hours in spring water

- Drying method: sun drying on African beds

- Dry grinding in the graft

- Roast in the graft

250 g jar of Coffee

Available here
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Yikes! The coffee arrived today, with a roast date of Aug 26th for all three purchases, so quite fast in that regard but the roast level is much darker than I'd prefer. First brew on the Ratio 8 and Titus yields unfortunately very uninspiring results. I'll continue to work on it in the next few days. It's really flat and nondescript. This is the COE #1 Guatemalan coffee, their geisha and it only has a very monotonous sweetness and little flavor dynamics. I think I'd rather see what this coffee could yield in the hands of a very expert roaster, because this most certainly isn't, which is quite unfortunate.

The Geisha isn't the typical size and shape of greater known varieties of Geisha, like those in Panama. These beans look quite like the rest of their offerings. I've seen this in many other regions who've taken up the farming of Geisha coffees, so I wasn't surprised.

GC7

#3: Post by GC7 »

Unfortunate. Sorry.

I had been following their website for quite a while as they had an unfinished, never initiated, part that promised sale of their green coffees.

The website offered roasted but I wasn't tempted because I didn't think it could be delivered quickly. You got the coffee quickly but poorly roasted. Lesson learned.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Some improvement today, but nothing spectacular. I brewed a larger batch 1100ml/72g ground coarser and got better results, mainly as it really cooled off a lot of the floral notes and jasmine came out. I think this coffee is capable of quite a lot more. I'd love to have seen it stopped maybe 15-20 seconds sooner. It's still a really sweet coffee with a great body, but the acidity is almost completely missing. At a cupping roast, I can see why this would stand out on a formal evaluation.

I haven't tried the Pacamara yet. But it's 1/4 the price, so if it's good, there's some light at the end of this tunnel.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC (original poster) »

The Pacamara is very good, quite enjoyable flavor intensity, sweetness and very clean. No regrets there. This farm can grow and process some of the finest coffee in all Central America. Hopefully some of that diligence and talent in processing and sorting will flow on over to their roasting endeavors. The Geisha is probably getting tossed out. Very disappointed.

Lockman

#6: Post by Lockman »

Hey Tom,

Before you throw it away, I am over in Oakland and wouldn't mind giving a try through my Strega for the fun of it.

Thanks,

Jeff
LMWDP #226.

"It takes many victims to make a culinary masterpiece"

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to Lockman »

I'll happily give it to you. PM me. I'd rather see someone else try it and share their thoughts than see it go to waste. I haven't pulled any shots with it. PM me and we can discuss. If you can make it easy for me to get it to you, it's yours. I'll give you a sample of the Pacamara and espresso blend too. The Pacamara is quite good. Haven't tried the espresso blend but I might tonight now that it's properly rested.