Ecco Caffe Experimental Espresso

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
prettydeceextrap

#1: Post by prettydeceextrap »

I am not sure when this was released, but it is new to me ...

From the website
Ecco Caffè invites you to join our innovative Experimental Espresso Club. As an Ecco Experimental Espresso Club member, you'll have the exclusive opportunity to experience both experimental blends (collaborative efforts and solo) and single origin espressos created from the world's most exemplary coffees.
These coffees will represent new directions in espresso's flavor potential. Throughout the year, Ecco Caffè's Andrew Barnett will be collaborating with the world's top artisan baristas, growers and coffee minds to bring you these new and unforgettably delicious espressos.

Included with your espresso will be the story behind the coffee grower, how it was selected for the club, blending components (when blended) and suggested optimal brewing parameters. Between the Experimental Espresso we will be sending you our award winning blend, Ecco Reserve to tide your espresso craving over until the next offering has been crafted. Truly an espresso geek's dream come true...
Anyone familiar with this operation? I am quite tempted to sign up. The one downside to me is that it ends up being nearly $20/lb, and half of the shipments are Ecco Reserve, which is $14/lb I believe. That makes the 'experimental' blends pretty expensive. Still ... something to consider for the holidays I suppose.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Andrew mentioned it'd be going up this week. By the way, Ecco is sponsoring a six month subscription for the Wish List Gifts contest. I agree with you that it's not cheap, but I'm putting it on my Christmas wish list and thinking happy thoughts.
Dan Kehn

jesawdy

#3: Post by jesawdy »

You've also gotta figure that it will cost them $4.60 flat rate shipping per shipment. That gets it back to less than $15/lb (for the coffee at least) on the 6 month subscription.
Jeff Sawdy

EccoScott

#4: Post by EccoScott »

Hi Matt,

My name is Scott Callender and I work for Ecco Caffe.

We are very excited about the Ecco Experimental Espresso Club. The theory is to simply bring in the best espresso coffees available and then collaborate with some of the best espresso blenders/roasters throughout the world to create unique espresso experiences. We want to give home baristas the chance to taste what some of the top blends in Europe are like, as well as challenging people to expand their expectations of what espresso can be.

The pricing does include shipping in it. So you are in most cases receiving a small discount on the price of a normal order of Ecco Reserve by ordering in quantity. It is a great way to have at least a pound of great espresso in your grinder every month. Please feel free to write me with any other questions that you may have!

Happy Holidays!
Scott Callender
Ecco Caffé

prettydeceextrap (original poster)

#5: Post by prettydeceextrap (original poster) »

EccoScott wrote:The pricing does include shipping in it. So you are in most cases receiving a small discount on the price of a normal order of Ecco Reserve by ordering in quantity.
What an oversight on my part ... that does change a lot. I am glad people more alert than myself are around to bring this to my attention.

Even negating price, I really like this idea. An item for the wish list indeed.

malachi

#6: Post by malachi »

I think this is an awesome idea.
Andrew is one of the more skilled roasters in the US (and one of the top cuppers in the world).
The chance to get unusual, limited production espressos like this is super cool.

Full disclosure: I'm hoping to be one of the lucky ones to collaborate on one of the blends.
What's in the cup is what matters.

roblumba

#7: Post by roblumba »

I've been drinking Ecco Reserve every week for at least the past year, perhaps longer. The Experimental Espresso Club definitely is a little cheaper per lb when you consider shipping costs. I had them simply switch me over to this club from my week to week method. Instead of paying weekly, I'm now making quarterly payments to Ecco Caffe.

I would highly recommend Ecco Caffe's program. Try it out for 6 months, or a year. I love their roasting style and I can testify from experience that I've never been disappointed with whatever coffee they send me.

Add to that, the crew over there are all friendly and accommodating people. I've occasionally asked them to just send me something for French Press, I'm going on vacation, and they send something good.

roblumba

#8: Post by roblumba »

Just received a pound of Experimental Espresso #1. It's a 50/50 combination of the 2006 Cup of Excellent #3 and #4 coffees. Each 90+ point coffee's.

Oh man, it's amazing. I was a little unsure how these experimental blends would be, but this was far above my expectations. I'm not much of a coffee taster as far as describing the flavors, so I apologize that I can't stimulate the intellects of people who are versed and experienced in coffee tasting. All I can say was that this morning's espresso and latte were extra special. My wife described hers as extra chocolaty and I also found it to be very rich chocolate tasting with some very nice aromas.

The pound also came with a very informative card that described the make up of the blend and the characteristics and thinking that went into forming the blend. It also gives farm information and brewing recommendations.

Knowing how good this was, I am very excited about the next year. I'll be getting 2 lbs of experimental espresso each month, plus the regular 2lbs of Ecco Reserve. It's a shame I really can't afford double the supply! I think I would probably up my espresso consumption to match!

If any of you out there are on the edge of wondering if you should try this program, I would strongly recommend giving it a go and at least try it out. I've tried a wide variety of coffee's from various online roasters and this is definitely something extremely special that I would think most espresso lovers would not want to miss.

The_Mighty_Bean

#9: Post by The_Mighty_Bean »

roblumba wrote:Just received a pound of Experimental Espresso #1. It's a 50/50 combination of the 2006 Cup of Excellent #3 and #4 coffees. Each 90+ point coffee's.

Oh man, it's amazing. I was a little unsure how these experimental blends would be, but this was far above my expectations. I'm not much of a coffee taster as far as describing the flavors, so I apologize that I can't stimulate the intellects of people who are versed and experienced in coffee tasting. All I can say was that this morning's espresso and latte were extra special. My wife described hers as extra chocolaty and I also found it to be very rich chocolate tasting with some very nice aromas.

I am still dialing in the grinder on this blend. This morning, I got a nice 19g double ristretto, but my pull was just under an ounce, so I'm going back a click next time, and that should get me fairly close to Ecco's suggested parameters. So far I am tasting and smelling a brown sugary extraction that reminds me of the caramelized, crackly top layer of a creme brulee.

I can tell this blend is going to be somewhere between delicious and oh-mah-Gawd, but I haven't quite hit the mark yet.

I'll update once I get it right. :idea: Perhaps Rob will loan me his GS3 for a day. I'll pay ship!

~tMb

--Edit in response to next post down the line-- Hear, hear. I appreciate the quality and care in packaging.

CGP4

#10: Post by CGP4 »

Not only is the coffee phenomenal, I love the new bags! (Brown, looks like paper, but lined inside with vent and resealable. Old bags were just lined paper that you'd roll over -- no sort of seal.)