Ecco Caffe Experimental Espresso - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
roblumba

#11: Post by roblumba »

The_Mighty_Bean wrote:Perhaps Rob will loan me his GS3 for a day. I'll pay ship!
I wish I could be so generous but I think I would go through withdrawals if I didn't see it each morning. ;)

It was nice to dial in the temperature this morning. I lucked out on the grind and dosing and it was almost right on except that I really should have cleaned out my Mazzer Mini before grinding this. I could tell that some of the spicy flavors from the previous Moonbeans Espresso blend had come through on the first shot. The subsequent shots were the ones I used for latte's and those were phenomenal. The aftertaste is also very desirable.

And those bags are real neat. I squeezed it this morning and smelled the aroma coming out the hole. Nice bonus.

malachi

#12: Post by malachi »

Suggested dose and brew temp were, IMHO, ideal for use in milk drinks (where the caramelized sugar, honey-roasted nut and powdered chocolate notes really shone).

I found I preferred straight espressos at a lower dose and lower brew temp. There I got espresso that was glorious... chocolate dusted sweet pink grapefruit with candied pecans and a shot of aged Flor de Cana rum.
What's in the cup is what matters.

jesawdy

#13: Post by jesawdy »

malachi wrote:chocolate dusted sweet pink grapefruit with candied pecans and a shot of aged Flor de Cana rum.
Next time, could you be more specific? :wink: , har har!
Jeff Sawdy

HB
Admin

#14: Post by HB »

It was also an Ecco Caffe Experimental Espresso #1 this morning at my place.

My lasting impression after three espressos was smooth milk chocolates and satsuma mandarins. After sampling, I read the description card that was included in the shipping box; it closes by saying "This blend yields exquisite espresso but also pairs perfectly with steamed milk in macchiatos and cappuccinos." I don't drink many cappuccinos, but the description sounded so inviting... My frothing skills were below par and yet it was a creamy sweet delicious coffee-flavored chocolate drink. I'm looking forward to finishing the other half of the bag this weekend.
Dan Kehn

Marshall

#15: Post by Marshall »

The_Mighty_Bean wrote:I am still dialing in the grinder on this blend. This morning, I got a nice 19g double ristretto, but my pull was just under an ounce, so I'm going back a click next time, and that should get me fairly close to Ecco's suggested parameters. So far I am tasting and smelling a brown sugary extraction that reminds me of the caramelized, crackly top layer of a creme brulee.
I found it took a bit coarser grind than my usual blends.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Marshall

#16: Post by Marshall »

malachi wrote:I found I preferred straight espressos at a lower dose and lower brew temp.
I second that as to the temp. 1 or 2F lower.
Marshall
Los Angeles

malachi

#17: Post by malachi »

After talking with Andrew, I continued to experiment and found that it produced truly gorgeous shots from the following: Synesso triple basket, down-dosed, 200.5F, 2.75oz shot in 25 seconds.

Sweet tangerine, bittersweet chocolate, burnt honey, vanilla, candied nuts, dense and thick body and the aforementioned Flor de Cana rum finish...

It's a truly lovely espresso!
Thank you Andrew.

DavidMLewis

#18: Post by DavidMLewis »

malachi wrote:2.75oz shot in 25 seconds.
Hi Chris,

Is that a typo, or did you really pull that long a shot?

Best,
David

malachi

#19: Post by malachi »

triple basket.

roblumba

#20: Post by roblumba »

Well, back to Ecco Reserve this week. After 1 week of Experimental Espresso and then Barefoot Bigfoot Espresso. BTW, Bigfoot was like drinking a Mocha Latte, but we honestly didn't add any chocolate! Our taste buds were literally freaking out on all that chocolate.

Now, it's back to Ecco Reserve and I must say it's like home for me. The aroma from the grinder was sweet, fragrant, fruity. That familiar flavor that's refined and elegant, complex and comfortable. I like it.