Dune Coffee

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
CoffeeCake

#1: Post by CoffeeCake »

Has anyone here tried Dune Coffee Roasters out of Santa Barbara Ca? My brother in law Nicely Alameda uses them among other roasters in his coffee shop. He is pretty well known in the coffee industry and he was also 3 time world latte art champion.
I have tried several varieties from Dune and have enjoyed all of them. My favorites were the anaerobic from Colombia and the anaerobic from Ecuador. Extremely fruity and almost like a fruit punch coffee when made in the pour over method. Also very enjoyable as espresso and as well as caps.
Bright and syrupy with strong dark fruit and tropical fruit notes.
Bring extra Carrots, that hole looks deep!

kapudjija
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by kapudjija »

I've only had their Zip Zinger but as someone who enjoys cappuccinos and the mrs, her lattes, makes one of the best I've had, would recommend. I have not tried any of their lighter roasts/single origins but glad to hear they have been good. Maybe once I work though the few coffees I have currently ill pick up some more of theirs!

CoffeeCake (original poster)

#3: Post by CoffeeCake (original poster) »

I have not tried the zip zinger yet but now you have me interested, lol. I will have to try it.
Thank you.

kinda-niche

#4: Post by kinda-niche »

I received a bag of Zip Zinger in mail yesterday. Can you share your brewing parameters? So far, my impression is that it will benefit from longer ratios (and possibly also higher temperatures), but it is only a few days post roast right now.

kapudjija
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by kapudjija »

It was balanced out for me with 17 in 34/35 out 28-30s, set @92c.

rockethead26

#6: Post by rockethead26 »

Zip Zinger has been my daily espresso for about 2 years now. After my second yearly December vacation in SB and several in store visits, I brought home my first 5 lb bag. I live at 7000 fet and I found my happiness at 17g in, 32-34g out in 31-32 seconds at 98°F.

kinda-niche

#7: Post by kinda-niche »

Thank you, both. What kind of tasting notes do you get in your espresso? As filter, it is certainly very fruity; I am seeing a good bit of that in espresso as well. They advertise it as juicy filter but chocolatey espresso, but I am yet to realize the latter (no complaints about fruitiness as it is pleasant, though not super sweet).

rockethead26

#8: Post by rockethead26 replying to kinda-niche »

I'm not a fruit forward guy. Shorter pulls (28 sec) gave me too much fruit so I dialed it out so it's a background taste and secondary to the chocolate. In fact, I think I had to play with the extraction time and the volume to get it where I wanted it.

kinda-niche

#9: Post by kinda-niche »

Sounds about right. One thing I've found interesting about this coffee is it's impossible to maintain constant pressure. No matter what grind setting and how much pre-infusion, the pressure degrades continuously over the entire shot time. Even if I start at 9+ bar, I'm down to around 7 bar by the end of 30-32 s (goes further down if I let it run longer). Haven't seen this phenomenon in other coffees and I am still trying to interpret it.

CoffeeCake (original poster)

#10: Post by CoffeeCake (original poster) »

Hi all, I've been enjoying Dune coffee for quite awhile now and I'm very impressed. I just wanted to let everyone know that you can try some for yourself at my brother in laws coffee shop in Venice Beach, CA.
The shop is called Hooked Venice and is located on Dudley Avenue right off of the boardwalk, inside Dudley Market Restaurant and Wine Bar.

9 Dudley Ave. Venice, CA. 90291
310-392-0825

My brother in law is a World Latte Art champion several times over. He is well known in the coffee community, his name is Christopher Nicely Alameda.
You can also purchase Dune beans as well as several other high end roasters including Black and White.
I think anyone in Los Angeles or visiting Venice Beach would enjoy his coffee skills immensely. Hooked Venice is open mornings 5 days a week, closed Mondays and Tuesdays.
Call and verify to be certain before you come.
I hope to see you there!