Dragonfly Panama Elida Estate Natural

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
grog

#1: Post by grog »

This is an intensely aromatic coffee, releasing massive florals and fruit as you grind. I assume this is intended for various filter brewing methods, but I've been pulling it as espresso. I'm working with a Monolith Flat and a La Cimbali M20 Eleva, dosing 18g into a 14g EPHQ basket. I'm grinding quite fine and pulling it on the tight-ish side, around 24g out.

It's no less intense in the cup. The bag rattles off various tropical fruit notes, but the overwhelming thing I get is rum or maybe cognac. Then you can pick up subtle pineapple / mango. This is not a coffee for people who enjoy the more 'classic' espresso notes of chocolate and nuts. I don't think I could run this as a day in day out espresso but it's a very fun occasional rotation and an interesting example of what can be done espresso-wise with light roasted coffees on an extremely well aligned flat burr grinder.

I'm going to try this as Chemex for sure, and probably in a Walkure. I have a lot more confidence that I can get good extractions in the Walkure with the MonoFlat than with my old setup, which always had a fair amount of fines that slowed flow rate and muddied the brew.
LMWDP #514

trunks235

#2: Post by trunks235 »

This is my favorite pour over coffee ever- really surprised to hear it came out well as espresso! Enjoy.

Advertisement
Catherwood

#3: Post by Catherwood »

I'm in, just ordered a bag. Best coffee this year for me was Las Lajas Natural from Elixir Roasters in Philly but it is unavailable now. Would describe Las Lajas as you described this Panama. Eager to try this one, hopefully have found a replacement.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by emradguy »

That Panama Elida Estate is insane. I only make French Press with it (well, Canadian Press, since I only use Espro presses). This past weekend I served some to another coffee lover (but one who doesn't really know much about coffee) and he said it was the best coffee he's ever had. I wouldn't say that, but it IS really good! Anyhow, I've still got about 100g, so maybe I'll finish it off as espresso. I honestly hadn't considered it. Thanks for the suggestion.
LMWDP #748

grog (original poster)

#5: Post by grog (original poster) »

It requires a very fine grind for espresso (I'm at about 5 for most coffees on the Mono Flat and around 3.9 for this coffee), and updosing also helps. Tomorrow morning I'm going to experiment with a 20g dose and a longer preinfusion with the lever maybe 15-20 degrees past horizontal. Goal is to get a bit more body out of it. It doesn't need much help in the sweetness department even without tinkering with pressure profiles.

Edit: tried it with the above parameters and got a delicious ristretto, probably my favorite shot of this to date.
LMWDP #514

nnmlrl

#6: Post by nnmlrl »

It's on sale for those who are interested.

clc12rock

#7: Post by clc12rock »

Anyone tried their esmerelda? I wanna get some but don't know which one to get

Looks like they have a Geisha of the Elida Estate now too. Wish I had like $300 to drop on coffee right now. :roll:

Advertisement
brianl

#8: Post by brianl »

I really am loving this coffee. I have been pulling it every which way on my Robot.

I have pulled it lungo and fast for a nice blueberry muffin type taste. I have also pulled it short and long for a blueberry mead/cognac taste.