Dragonfly Crema Dolce discussion - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
HotLava (original poster)

#21: Post by HotLava (original poster) »

Quick update:

My double today was 21/38 in 26 seconds. 199degrees. 6 sec pre. 20g VST. My goal was to hit 30 seconds but it ran a little fast. I picked up bright dark chocolate. The brightness was that slight Lemmon acidity. It opened up the sweetness. Towards the bottom of the cup I can see the "brandy soaked cherry" analogy. Much better today. I have to add 4 seconds or so to the extraction

Joe

TomC
Team HB

#22: Post by TomC »

In my opinion, this coffee has fallen pretty far off its pedestal from years past. The versions I had a few years ago were much better. You can explore the extraction space with this light roast fairly easy, but you're buffeted on one end by metallic lemon acidity and the other end, excessive bitters and lack of flavor structure. I do think it needs to be pushed towards the high end of the extraction however, to yield a sweetness that balances the metallic sourness.

I'm settling on a lower dose than suggested, at 19g, ground finer, and a long 15 second pre-infusion on my Speedster. Even with all this, it's still nothing to get excited about. Since I have a kilo of it, and want to use as much of it while it's fresh, I'll be making tiramisu today for a dinner tonight with a lot of it. On my last shot, I added a few drops of armagnac to it and they seemed to work well together.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

BuckleyT

#23: Post by BuckleyT »

Agree with HotLava and TangyWasabi.
Very disappointed, given the reputation. Had to work hard to tone down the tartness.
Ground it for siphon and that worked out better for this roast.
Also, they show no restraint at spamming my inbox after I ordered from them.
...and their marketing seems forced and over the top. That leaves another bad taste in my mouth.
B

Me2

#24: Post by Me2 »

Dragonfly is local to me. I've been a big fan but it seems there's a great degree of variability lately. Unsure what's up but it's disappointing.

Case in point, received 12oz several weeks ago and it was stellar, 20.5/38 with a 40 second lever profile extraction. Just started working on another bag a couple days ago after resting and it's just meh. I'll get 1 or 2 good bags then a dud.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by JohnB. »

Me2 wrote:Dragonfly is local to me. I've been a big fan but it seems there's a great degree of variability lately. Unsure what's up but it's disappointing.
Does Dragonfly do their own roasting? Last bag of Crema Dolce I ordered shipped from a suburb of Las Vegas, Nv. A quick Google search showed a number of coffee roasters in that area but none named Dragonfly. Maybe they farm out some of the roasting??
LMWDP 267

slybarman

#26: Post by slybarman »

Me2 wrote:Dragonfly is local to me. I've been a big fan but it seems there's a great degree of variability lately. Unsure what's up but it's disappointing.

Case in point, received 12oz several weeks ago and it was stellar, 20.5/38 with a 40 second lever profile extraction. Just started working on another bag a couple days ago after resting and it's just meh. I'll get 1 or 2 good bags then a dud.
That is unfortunate and maybe explains why my experience didn't line up with what others are saying here.

Me2

#27: Post by Me2 »

JohnB. wrote:Does Dragonfly do their own roasting? Last bag of Crema Dolce I ordered shipped from a suburb of Las Vegas, Nv. A quick Google search showed a number of coffee roasters in that area but none named Dragonfly. Maybe they farm out some of the roasting??

Hey john. They do their own roasting. It might just be idiosyncrasies of USPS and it was finally scanned in LV.

I may email my concerns to Tamas and see what's up. If I do I'll report back.

Another thing I found odd was they closed down their retail location to walk ins several months to a year ago. You can buy in Whole Foods but it has the dodgy WF expiration date on it. So locals have to pay shipping if you want fer shure fresh which is lame when you consider the competition (Corvus, Sweet Bloom, Boxcar, Huck, Novo, Queen City, etc) has fresh beans to pick up if you're in the area.

[creative nickname]

#28: Post by [creative nickname] »

Yeah, FWIW the bags I have used recently were purchased a while back and kept in the deep freeze for a rainy day.
LMWDP #435

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by JohnB. »

Me2 wrote: Hey john. They do their own roasting. It might just be idiosyncrasies of USPS and it was finally scanned in LV.
No, the shipment definitely orginated in Henderson, Nv. The tracking was quite clear about that. This bag was shipped in mid March.
LMWDP 267

Me2

#30: Post by Me2 replying to JohnB. »

Hey John, you're right. I'm currently out of state and checked tracking for a bag I had shipped, it originated in Henderson. Stuff I ordered when in state came from Boulder. Did a search and it appears they set up a LLC in Henderson end of 2019.

I haven't heard a peep from dragonfly so as a long time customer, between lack responsiveness w previously good communication and variability/inconsistency with bags, I'm done and won't be recommending moving forward. They used to be incredibly consistent. Plenty of other great roasters out there.