Dialing in Dragonfly Leam Hammer

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » Dec 03, 2018, 11:44 am

Guys,

Anyone want to share your specs with me on pulling shots with Dragonfly Leam Hammer. I'm diving into a few "light" roast coffees and ordered this one when Dragonfly had their recent sale. It's now 5 days off roast, so I want to pull a few shots today.

I'm all ears to know from the folks with preinfusion capable machines (Slayer, LM GS3, DE1+, Bianca, BDB, etc). Would like the following if you can provide:

temp
grams in
grams out
preinfusion time
total extraction time
any additional profiling

Thanks!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..."

Moxiechef

Postby Moxiechef » Dec 04, 2018, 9:03 pm

I bought all three of their espressos. This was their recommendation for a starting point. They did ask me my equipment, so take that into account. Monolith Flat and a GS/3.

"I would start at the following (time factors in pre infusion at 5 seconds)

Leam Hammer: 21g in, 45g out, 30 sec

Crema Dolce: 21g in, 38g out, 30 sec

Vesuvius: 18g in, 50g out, 30 sec (traditionally this one is better at 14g in, 34g out, 30 sec as it is a classic Southern Italy style)"

forbiddenbeat

Postby forbiddenbeat » Dec 05, 2018, 1:45 pm

Not to derail at all, but is Dragonfly really good? I just realized I live literally a mile from them...

Headala

Postby Headala » Dec 05, 2018, 3:18 pm

It took me a long time to get my God shot from Leam Hammer. I found that I needed to rest it longer than others, perhaps 10 days. For me, the best flavor came with a long medium temp preinfusion, then a high temp extraction. Best results for me was 18.8g in and 28~30g out in an 18g Decent basket, ground on a SJ with SSP red speed burrs, brewed on DE1+.

BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » Dec 05, 2018, 3:20 pm

Moxiechef wrote:I bought all three of their espressos. This was their recommendation for a starting point. They did ask me my equipment, so take that into account. Monolith Flat and a GS/3.

"I would start at the following (time factors in pre infusion at 5 seconds)

Leam Hammer: 21g in, 45g out, 30 sec

Crema Dolce: 21g in, 38g out, 30 sec

Vesuvius: 18g in, 50g out, 30 sec (traditionally this one is better at 14g in, 34g out, 30 sec as it is a classic Southern Italy style)"

Thanks Jonathan. That will work as a starting point, so I'll use my 20g VST basket. Makes sense...more grounds, greater than 1:2 ratio for a light roast. Think I'll run the temperature up some from 200F to 202F, as well. I'll be pulling a shot this afternoon!

BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » Dec 05, 2018, 3:22 pm

Headala wrote:It took me a long time to get my God shot from Leam Hammer. I found that I needed to rest it longer than others, perhaps 10 days. For me, the best flavor came with a long medium temp preinfusion, then a high temp extraction. Best results for me was 18.8g in and 28~30g out in an 18g Decent basket, ground on a SJ with SSP red speed burrs, brewed on DE1+.

Thanks Alan for your comments. When you say "long...preinfusion", just how long?

BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » Dec 05, 2018, 3:29 pm

forbiddenbeat wrote:Not to derail at all, but is Dragonfly really good? I just realized I live literally a mile from them...

Andrew...I'm so jealous! The short answer is YES...they are good, IMO. Their coffee might be on the pricey side, but always wait for their specials, which seem to happen almost weekly. They just won another award...Roast Magazine winner ...2019 Roaster of the Year...for what it's worth.

Headala

Postby Headala » Dec 05, 2018, 3:52 pm

BaristaBob wrote:Thanks Alan for your comments. When you say "long...preinfusion", just how long?

I was preinfusing at 2ml/s until hitting 4 bar. This was a bit slower and longer pre-brew than my standard method. Then wait 30 seconds with no flow. Then a medium-high pressure (9 bar) extraction until I hit the target weight.

I find it very interesting that my ratio was much less than 1:2, others have enjoyed a bit over 1:2. Not much in the middle.

BaristaBob wrote:Andrew...I'm so jealous! The short answer is YES...they are good, IMO. Their coffee might be on the pricey side, but always wait for their specials, which seem to happen almost weekly. They just won another award...Roast Magazine winner ...2019 Roaster of the Year...for what it's worth.

My favorite from them is Crema Dolce. It's a more forgiving bean and almost as much complexity and enjoyment as Leam Hammer, without (in my experience) the difficulty in dialing in.

BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » replying to Headala » Dec 05, 2018, 3:59 pm

+1 on Crema Dolce. Yes, much easier to dial in since it's a medium to medium-dark roasted coffee. Love the caramel/chocolate notes.

Blacktip

Postby Blacktip » Dec 06, 2018, 12:30 pm

Pulled my first espresso shot from a 7 days old bean yesterday.

Pro 800 dipper machine
Flushed for several seconds to bring the temp to 200+
21g finely grinds into a 21g basket
25 sec pre-infusion at 1 bar
10 sec at 2-3 bar
Let go of the leaver
42g out
40 sec shot time (excluding pre-infusion time)
Floral, fruit forward, and bright. Enjoyable, but I found it to be not special.

This is my second bag for Leam Hammer. First bag was several months ago, and I couldn't get a decent shot. I decided to try again, and I got a bag during the recent discounts. IMHO, it is too difficult to pull and the result is not special.