Dialing in Dragonfly Leam Hammer - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
forbiddenbeat

Postby forbiddenbeat » Dec 06, 2018, 1:47 pm

BaristaBob wrote:Andrew...I'm so jealous! The short answer is YES...they are good, IMO. Their coffee might be on the pricey side, but always wait for their specials, which seem to happen almost weekly. They just won another award...Roast Magazine winner ...2019 Roaster of the Year...for what it's worth.

Awesome, thanks! Will have to give it a try. :)

grog

Postby grog » Dec 06, 2018, 2:05 pm

I really like their coffees and have always enjoyed Leam Hammer. I don't find it difficult to dial in on lever machines - in fact, I think levers are ideally suited for this coffee. I am pulling it on a La Cimbali M20 Eleva with a MonoFlat SSP. I typically dose 18g in a 20g VST. The M20 has some headspace issues that make updosing difficult but I can't imagine dosing this 21g anyway.
LMWDP #514

RyanP

Postby RyanP » Dec 06, 2018, 2:26 pm

I also bought some Leam Hammer with the recent Black Friday deal. Pulled a couple shots this morning. Opening the bag my first impression was this is a darker roast than I was expecting. Certainly not what I consider light from a visual perspective. Here it is next to a light roast from Slate for comparison.

I pulled two shots. 14.5 g in and 30g our for both. 20 second of active preinfusion starting at .5 bar and increasing to 3 bar until the puck is saturated and then did quick ramp up to 8 bar for extraction. First shot was pulled at 201F and second at 199F.

Both shots were similar. They pulled with a fair bit of crema and on the slightly thick side. I'd say the tasting notes on the bag were on point. A mix of fruits, florals, and a bit of milk chocolate. I wasn't getting a ton of clarity, though. Individual flavors seemed muted and there was a bit of dull acidity there. Not biting, but not playing well with the overall flavors, either. The espresso was relatively tasty all the same, but a little boring. I'm definitely not satisfied.

I'll try again tomorrow and will maybe loosen up the grind and dial back the preinfusion. I wonder if perhaps this is a bit too dark for the long drawn out PI.

grog

Postby grog » Dec 06, 2018, 3:22 pm

Haha, that is funny seeing it next to the Slate - definitely not what most of us would consider a Nordic roast.
LMWDP #514

RyanP

Postby RyanP » replying to grog » Dec 06, 2018, 3:39 pm

It definitely has me wondering what the Crema Dolce is going to look like when I open it. Might be a little darker than I bargained for.

homeburrero
Team HB

Postby homeburrero » Dec 06, 2018, 4:37 pm

grog wrote:definitely not what most of us would consider a Nordic roast.

RyanP wrote:It definitely has me wondering what the Crema Dolce is going to look like when I open it. Might be a little darker than I bargained for.

FWIW, coffeereview.com measured the 2015 Leam Hammer at Agtron 55/75 (M-Basic analyzer, where the first number is for the whole bean, second is for the ground coffee). Based on the average of the numbers they called it a medium-light coffee. They measured the 2015 Crema Dolce at Agtron 50/60 - slightly darker bean and much darker ground coffee, which they called 'medium'.

Coffee Review will call a coffee 'medium-dark' when the average of the two Agtron numbers comes out to 41-50, and will call it 'light' when the average comes out to 70 or more.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

RyanP

Postby RyanP » replying to homeburrero » Dec 06, 2018, 5:23 pm

Cool, thanks for that info. From a visual perspective, it certainly falls more into what I'd consider medium-light to medium. But, considering they label it as "light" on the bag, and the crema dolce as "medium-light", just goes to show the variability between different roasters. It seems that including a standardized measurement like agtron on the bag next to the roast date would be a a positive change in practice for roasters.