Decaf coffee in Canada

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by PIXIllate »

The topic kind of says it all. I'm looking for experience and recommendations about decaf espresso from Canadian roasters. I've been wanting to add a decaf to my evenings as I can't really handle caffeine after noon due to long standing sleep issues.

Now that I have a Monolith Flat I feel like dialing in is no longer a process and just a matter of selecting a number on the grinder.

I just ordered some of the Detour DECAF HUILA COLOMBIA as it looked reasonable and I've had pretty good luck with most of their coffees.
What other ones should I be looking at?

VoidedTea

#2: Post by VoidedTea »

My favourite decaf is from 49th parallel, but I also tried decaf from ROSSO Coffee Roasters and found it good too. I like 49th parallel because it feels almost like melted chocolate, especially if you add a drop of Elijah Craig in it. ROSSO beans look lighter in colour and the taste resembles slightly lighter roasts as well, with some juiciness added to the sweetness.

Advertisement
dyno

#3: Post by dyno »

Easily my favorite is https://craftcoffeecanada.com/collectio ... wheel-spro
They are located in Delta, BC. Alittle lighter roast than most local decaf which are dark or med dark.

redbone

#4: Post by redbone »

After many trials this has become my favourite. https://www.madawaskacoffeeco.ca/produc ... ecaf-roast. Swiss water method. Hard to find but CO2 process also a good alternative
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

How do you fair with other coffees from 49th? I have an order from them on the way right now. Unfortunately no decaf in this one. I have to say as much as I've tried to love it (and I have had some good experiences) it's more miss than hit. I'm trying it again with the new grinder to find out if that helps get me to a better place with it.

I'd never heard of Craft Coffee before so thanks for putting that on my radar. $71 for free shipping is a bit much but if it's really good then it's fine. Any of their other espressos that you find are standouts?

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

redbone wrote:After many trials this has become my favourite. https://www.madawaskacoffeeco.ca/produc ... ecaf-roast. Swiss water method. Hard to find but CO2 process also a good alternative
They list every method of coffee preperatuon except espresso for this one. Have you pulled it for straight shots?

mwynne

#7: Post by mwynne »

PIXIllate wrote:How do you fair with other coffees from 49th?
I've been enjoying their Old School Espresso for a simple unfussy espresso. Not exciting, but I've found it reliable and consistent. On the more traditional/dark side of things, plays nice with the europiccola.
LMWDP #673

Advertisement
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) replying to mwynne »

Yeah, to be honest I think I'm enjoying 1:1.5 ristretto shots from Lavazza Gold and Super Crema pulled straight out of the freezer more than I ever did Old School. Plus that stuff is $30 for 2.2lb and can't really go stale. The three from them that are on the way are SO's. We'll see.

Back on track, decaf....... Espresso for the OTHER 12 hours in the day.

BaristaBoy E61

#9: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Here's a link to a Colombian Decaf SWP that my wife likes a lot. I 'Blend' 15g Colombian SWP Decaf & 3g of SO El Salvador just to give it a little kick but not enough to make her shake and I have to say it's really good!

http://cafeplantation.com/pays-dorigine ... _container
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

redbone

#10: Post by redbone »

PIXIllate wrote:They list every method of coffee preperatuon except espresso for this one. Have you pulled it for straight shots?
Worked with my VAM but not with Europiccola when making espresso. Have a inclination the darker roast is best with cooler water, coarser grind and less pressure at puck. The europiccola runs hotter with pressurized boiler vs open boiler machines.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549