Decaf coffee in Canada - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Here's a link to a Colombian Decaf SWP that my wife likes a lot. I 'Blend' 15g Colombian SWP Decaf & 3g of SO El Salvador just to give it a little kick but not enough to make her shake and I have to say it's really good!

http://cafeplantation.com/pays-dorigine ... _container
Thanks for pointing this out. Another place I had never heard of before. It's so cheap it's scary. Is there anything you enjoy as straight espresso from them? I'm less interested in saving money than having amazing coffee.

Supporter ♡

#12: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

redbone wrote:Worked with my VAM but not with Europiccola when making espresso. Have a inclination the darker roast is best with cooler water, coarser grind and less pressure at puck. The europiccola runs hotter with pressurized boiler vs open boiler machines.
I think decaf is going to be fussy enough without complicating matters by pulling beans that aren't meant for espresso. Especially since I'm not using a lever.

redbone

#13: Post by redbone replying to PIXIllate »

I mainly use these post dinner in a pre-heated dripper. Use a hybrid method were-by I allow for 40 seconds of water fill in basket before adding grinds. Takeoff of the a clever coffeemaker brew method. Use a Xeoleo large ghost burr grinder on #5 setting for best results.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Supporter ♡

#14: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

I guess I should have bee clearer. I'm only interested in espresso. Thanks for your method though. Maybe someone else will see this while looking for the same thing.

BaristaBoy E61

#15: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

PIXIllate wrote:Thanks for pointing this out. Another place I had never heard of before. It's so cheap it's scary. Is there anything you enjoy as straight espresso from them? I'm less interested in saving money than having amazing coffee.
We enjoy their SO El Salvador by itself and also blend it with the Colombian SWP Decaf and with their Sumatran.

I know the price is reasonable, we prefer their coffees to anything else we've tried and would pay twice the price. Taste is very subjective and this doesn't mean that most people will like it.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Supporter ♡

#16: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

Okay, I'll give it a spin when I'm ready to order again. Thanks for the recommendation on a place I had not been aware of.

iBrew

#17: Post by iBrew »

I would try Phil & Sebastian, I've yet to be disappointed with their coffee, their the best coffee roaster for me personally.

Supporter ♡

#18: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) replying to iBrew »

Thanks for pointing this out. I agree they are excellent as a roaster. Somehow I missed that they have a decaf for Espresso. I'm just finishing up the second bag of their coffee from my last order. I'll add the decaf to my next one and report back here.

Supporter ♡

#19: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

Pulled my first shots with the Detour Huila Decaf tonight. All in all I'm quite impressed. A bit on the bright side but quite sweet with apple and caramel. The shots really do flow fast. I had to adjust the Monolith Flat almost one full number finer to get a 19/36g shot to run for 28 seconds. It also looks really different flowing out of the bottomless. It's light and holds together really well. The Crema is quite thick and even after stirring is still somewhat present. It wasn't until I got the new grinder that I started considering coffee in the evenings. I'm glad I did.