Current version of Redbird Espresso

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
IMAWriter

#1: Post by IMAWriter »

H,
I haven't had this blend since Jeff sold the roastery. I'd love opinions on the current (last 3 months perhaps) version of this blend. Due to sinus issues, I have to curtail my home roasting a bit. Thanks much, and y'all be safe!

RJ

chanty 77

#2: Post by chanty 77 replying to IMAWriter »

This used to be one of my "go-to" beans a number of years back. Sorry, this is more like about 5-6 months back that I decided to order through Redbird again, the Redbird espresso. It seemed different to me, more one-dimensional flavor, blander than what I remembered from years ago. It was nice that this is one of the few companies that still sell 1 lb. bags instead of the annoying 12 oz.---but sadly, that was not enough to keep me as a steady customer.

lancealot

#3: Post by lancealot »

Robert,
I have never had Jeff's Redbird. I got into this right after he sold the company. Redbird was the coffee with which I learned espresso fundamentals. It does not taste the same to me as it did 3 or 4 years ago but I can't really trust my taste memory to be accurate with this one. I was a newbie and I was learning. Lots of money spent, lots of hopes and dreams. I don't think I was very objective at the time. I did not know what I didn't know. Now I've played the field, tasted around the block. Maybe my palate is more refined?

So, long story short. It does not taste exactly the same to me as it did 4 years ago. But it tastes similar.

roadman
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by roadman »

I've had Jeff's Redbird espresso in the past and have the current version of Redbird at home on my counter at the moment.

It's a totally drinkable comfort blend, looks good, but the current version is a bit more roasty than I'd like these days. On the one hand, I'm not sorry I ordered it. On the other hand I'm not sure if I'll be ordering again anytime soon.

IMAWriter (original poster)

#5: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

Many thanks.I've been pulling cappas for my daughter, who seems to like the more "chocolaty" espresso than fruity. I made her drinks using Klatch Belle, previously.
I had Happy Mugs "Big Foot" Espresso as well. Pulls think shots, but Im told no robusta in that one. Just trying to find a sweet espresso for me, a suitable coffee for her...at the same time. I did order some Sweet Maria's green Monkey Blend...but I'll have to wear a double mask like Fauci!! :lol:

I might call up an old friend David Schomer (how's THAT for dropping a name??) and see what's up with Dolce these days. Shipping is a bit high.

As to the difference between Redbird then and now, that's usually inevitable.

chanty 77

#6: Post by chanty 77 replying to IMAWriter »

What about Nossa Familia Coffees? I have been using Teodoro's Italian Roast for months now, and it is mellow, chocolatey--just a nice rounded blend. Price very reasonable, even a 20% discount when a HB member. One of my favorites thus far.

lancealot

#7: Post by lancealot »

While you are talking to him you might ask if he can setup a deal where HB members can buy 5lb bags and get priority mail shipping at cost :D

DaveB

#8: Post by DaveB replying to lancealot »

How about *free* priority mail shipping like every other vendor selling 5lb bags?
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

IMAWriter (original poster)

#9: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

lancealot wrote:While you are talking to him you might ask if he can setup a deal where HB members can buy 5lb bags and get priority mail shipping at cost :D
haha. Fat chance, I'd say. David is a VERY nice person, and is, by all standards, a legend. His coffee is not inexpensive, running about $16.80 for 12 oz. AFAIK, there is no 5# discount. I could approach him and, with hat in hand, inquire if he could do a deal for us. Of course, I cannot represent this fine Forum, fo I am but one of the unwashed masses. :lol:

Dolce pulls so beautifully. Interestingly, I've not ordered Vita. Fact is, I've been mainly home roasting, but for a few online pounds now and then. Josuma's Malabar Gold was always a cool thing, but at this point (age) I cannot handle the extra caffeine on a daily basis. For the price, their 5# bags are a bargain. I do like my SOs lighter, using my BDB to profile them. But as mentioned, I'm trying to do this as much for my daughter as anything. I;ve gotten her to reduce the milk portion to about 6oz from 10oz.

spressomon

#10: Post by spressomon »

I was a big fan and buyer of Redbird beans when Jeff had it. After many years of no Redbird in the house, I just ordered a bag of each last month of Brazil Moka Peaberry which I used to use for espresso many years ago with delicious results and Brazil Full Bloom.

Nothing but burnt ash for each bag; undrinkable and got tossed in the trash. I won't be going back.

At the opposite end of the coffee bean experience I just received 10 more pounds of Northbound's Coffee Lover after lapping up 5lbs from January. Unfortunately March 3rd was the last date to order this incredibly tasty and value priced seasonal blend.
No Espresso = Depresso