Current version of Redbird Espresso - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Me2

#31: Post by Me2 »

I miss the redbird of old. Used to be snickers in a cup. Imo it started going downhill in the last 12-18 months,

spressomon

#32: Post by spressomon »

^ "Snickers in a cup"...is what Buena Vista Black Canyon used to taste like too! They were super consistent with that taste profile year after year. Until BV sold. Then it went through very inconsistent roasting/blending (familiar story!). Now I've heard the original owner took it back over.

I just want my Snickers espresso!
No Espresso = Depresso

Clint Orchuk

#33: Post by Clint Orchuk »

I haven't had any Redbird offerings since it was sold. When Jeff owned it the coffees were amazing. The espresso and the Blue Jaguar were our go to coffees at Limestone. He also helped us mod our first roaster and got us started out roasting our own coffee. A great guy. Does anyone know if he's still roasting somewhere?

TomC
Team HB

#34: Post by TomC replying to Clint Orchuk »

He roasts for a few private friends/old accounts and his own use. He bought a Dietrich 1 kilo, but wasn't impressed by it, so he sold it and still uses his SF-1.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

DaveB

#35: Post by DaveB »

This thread is interesting, as I was late to the Redbird party. My first experience with the company was in late 2018 with their Datera Sweet Blue, described as a "spicy chocolate bar". I felt it aptly fit that description. Then I tried their Blue Jaguar, which is Sweet Blue with something added for more complexity. I switched between those two and enjoyed them immensely. I only tried the flagship Redbird once (5lbs), but went back to alternating the other two as I preferred them.

Looking at my list, I've tried at least 1lb of 22 different "comfort blend" coffees for espresso, and have always come back to Blue Jaguar as my favorite, including the 5lbs I'm going through at the moment. As to the "Snickers Bar" descriptors for Redbird, FWIW I will say that the special Caffe Lusso "Roma" blend (I'm also going through at the moment) is probably the closest thing I've had to that. So for anyone looking for Snickers Bar, you might want to give that a try if and when it's available again. :D

Edit: I've actually tried 27 comfort blend coffees, not 22.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

chanty 77

#36: Post by chanty 77 »

DaveB wrote:This thread is interesting, as I was late to the Redbird party. My first experience with the company was in late 2018 with their Datera Sweet Blue, described as a "spicy chocolate bar". I felt it aptly fit that description. Then I tried their Blue Jaguar, which is Sweet Blue with something added for more complexity. I switched between those two and enjoyed them immensely. I only tried the flagship Redbird once (5lbs), but went back to alternating the other two as I preferred them.

Looking at my list, I've tried at least 1lb of 22 different "comfort blend" coffees for espresso, and have always come back to Blue Jaguar as my favorite, including the 5lbs I'm going through at the moment. As to the "Snickers Bar" descriptors for Redbird, FWIW I will say that the special Caffe Lusso "Roma" blend (I'm also going through at the moment) is probably the closest thing I've had to that. So for anyone looking for Snickers Bar, you might want to give that a try if and when it's available again. :D
I just bought a new grinder that is giving me much better shots than my past grinder even though I know I probably have a subpar espresso machine. Years ago I would use various types of medium to medium-dark roasts. Redbird was one I alternated with others. Tried it, about 6 months ago & found it just one dimensional in flavor. What I remembered about it was more complexity in flavors. I enjoy Caffe Lusso's GMC--but found that to be more "roasty" smoky flavor--so on the fence. The Romo has more caffeine in it, no? If so, my heart couldn't take it. One I have found to be chocolatey and rich is Nossa's Teodoro. I still like to try others in the medium to medium dark. Never enjoyed lighter roasts. I only do cappuccinos though, not a lot of steamed milk--maybe 4 -5oz. with some micro foam on top.

IMAWriter (original poster)

#37: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:https://bgcoffee.net/collections/signat ... 1211168849 Shipping is $8 so $68 total. Much better then Redbird IMO.
Hey John,
Hope you and yours are doing well.
Which of the medium roast espressos from BG do you recommend as a first try. Looking for something comparable to maybe Klatch Worlds best..also maybe Vivace Dolce, light on the citrus, berry cool. I read the descriptors, but wanted to make sure there is zero Robusta. I cannot handle it any longer.

Thanks much

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by JohnB. replying to IMAWriter »

Hi Robert
I'd stick with the Inverno blend in my link. It was pretty much as they describe it last time I ordered some. I also liked the Autunno blend but that definitely has Robusta in it.
LMWDP 267

IMAWriter (original poster)

#39: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

Thanks, bud!!