Current version of Redbird Espresso - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
chanty 77

#21: Post by chanty 77 »

slybarman wrote:Back in the day it was the quintessential "snickers bar". Been a long time for me as well. When I first got into espresso Metropolis Redline was the shizzle (when was the last time anyone mentioned that one?). That was really great for a couple years then tanked as well. Seems to be the nature of natural products - they rise and fall over time. There a wines (or even entire varietals of wines) I love for years, then can't stand, then eventually come back again.
Yup, Redline was one of my go-tos that I recently (about 3-4 months ago) tried again. It seemed 'meh' blander than what I remembered. Hoping that doesn't have to my Nossa Teodoro which I'm really enjoying over the last 2 months.

nameisjoey

#22: Post by nameisjoey replying to chanty 77 »

Finished up 5lb's of red bird (my first order) and I'm not that impressed. It was much more roastier than I wanted, even coming from B&W's The Traditional. I just ordered two pounds each of Teodoro's and Full cycle. First order from Nossa and looking forward to trying their beans. Curious to see if they can dethrone B&W as my favorite roaster :)

chanty 77

#23: Post by chanty 77 replying to nameisjoey »

Since I have been drinking Nossa's Teodoro for a couple months now, and it is better than a number of other blends I've tried--so curious to your thoughts about it. Please, please let us know what you think when you try it! Also what the difference is between the Teodoro & Full Cycle. Thanks.

nameisjoey

#24: Post by nameisjoey »

chanty 77 wrote: Since I have been drinking Nossa's Teodoro for a couple months now, and it is better than a number of other blends I've tried--so curious to your thoughts about it. Please, please let us know what you think when you try it! Also what the difference is between the Teodoro & Full Cycle. Thanks.
No problem! Definitely will!

IMAWriter (original poster)

#25: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

slybarman wrote:Back in the day it was the quintessential "snickers bar". Been a long time for me as well. When I first got into espresso Metropolis Redline was the shizzle (when was the last time anyone mentioned that one?). That was really great for a couple years then tanked as well. Seems to be the nature of natural products - they rise and fall over time. There a wines (or even entire varietals of wines) I love for years, then can't stand, then eventually come back again.
Unfortunately true, friend. Tony (at Metropolis) was a good guy as well. Fair prices, excellent coffee. As I recall though, he adopted a bit lighter roasting style.

slybarman

#26: Post by slybarman replying to IMAWriter »

That was kinda the direction everything was going with the whole third wave thing in full swing. Thankfully (from my standpoint anyway) seems like at least some producers are swinging back to more traditional roasts or at least offering a range

GeorgeP922

#27: Post by GeorgeP922 »

You guys are bumming me out. I heard Redbird mentioned enough and know their prices without ever buying.
My magic number is 60$ shipped for 5 lbs (happy with 70, ok at 80, after that I got to be drunk to buy).
Price wise Redbird hits out of the park, one of the best priced in my list. Also one of the very very few roasters to not follow the sad 12 oz trend.
They are my very short of coffee to try, so I am disappointed to see so many complain.
Now if it is just "roastiness" well that is subjective, I like med-dark roast. If they are doing a bad job thats another thing, but if the coffee is good enough to sell in retail caffee, its good enough for me.
I dunno, I trust folks here, otherwise I would read this subforum, I will try a pound of each of their roasts. If it makes me smile we go from there.

Anyways, if anyone else has suggestions for the 50-70 shipped bracket I would love to hear it. Either here or PM

MB

#28: Post by MB »

I haven't purchased from them in quite a while, as my interests have gone lighter, but FYI they were willing to respond to a note at the end of a purchase to roast lighter. Also, I was using a cold portafilter which really made a difference on my L1 lever. So, maybe request lighter roasts and turn down your brew temp to take full advantage.
LMWDP #472

spressomon

#29: Post by spressomon »

@GeoregeP922: Check out Northbound Coffee Roasting. They don't have a huge selection but for typically $65 shipped for 5lbs they offer very good value along with very consistent roast levels & flavor profiles from their blends.

Although their seasonal Coffee Lover offering ended earlier this month, I'm working through 15lb order of it...

https://northboundcoffee.com
No Espresso = Depresso

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#30: Post by JohnB. »

GeorgeP922 wrote:
Anyways, if anyone else has suggestions for the 50-70 shipped bracket I would love to hear it. Either here or PM
https://bgcoffee.net/collections/signat ... 1211168849 Shipping is $8 so $68 total. Much better then Redbird IMO.
LMWDP 267