Costco Canada Whole Bean Coffees - any of these any good?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
rolex

#1: Post by rolex »

Hi guys! New to the forums, and greetings from St. Jacobs, Canada!

I have a Lelit Mara and Niche Zero

I'm headed to Costco this afternoon and am wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these beans (there's a big selection!)

I'm looking for something more affordable for some daily drivers as the beans priced here are quite literally 75% less than I've been paying at my local roaster. The value is just not there considering I'm a novice user who is wasting lots of pucks and shots while trying to improve basic things like shot consistency and pouring milk

https://www.costco.ca/whole-bean-coffee.html is the link, if anyone would have a minute to look it over I'd really appreciate some suggestions!

Thanks very much and cheers !!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Welcome!

Lavazza Super Crema would be my choice.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
palica

#3: Post by palica »

baldheadracing wrote: Lavazza Super Crema would be my choice.
I have heard good things about the Lavazza Oro too. I will try it next time.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing replying to palica »

The Super Crema is on sale at Costco, that's all. Spend a weekend pulling a kg of coffee that is thrown out, and one should be ready to move on to fresh-roasted. Twice the price, and twice the taste quality (to me, taste is subjective).

I'd say to take a course first, but that would probably involve a drive from St. Jacobs to the GTA.

Actually, I'd say to get some kind of water treatment system first. The rock-hard water around Waterloo destroys espresso machines.

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

baldheadracing wrote:Actually, I'd say to get water treatment system first.

+1 to that!

Welcome to HB Ray

I would recommend the LavAzza Crema E Aroma or the Starbucks Verona. They were better than I expected when used as backup beans from our freezer during desperate times.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

rolex (original poster)

#6: Post by rolex (original poster) »

Thanks very much for getting back to me, and for the welcome! The water is, indeed, insane out here!! I used to live in the GTA and it seemed totally different.

Water is actually something I'd like to ask about as well, I've been doing a bit of research into it. My understanding is that the sweet spot is between like 40ppm-100ppm on a TDS meter for optimum taste and machine health. This means no straight RO water (too low, around 5ppm, and it will be acidic) and certainly no tap water (way too high, 350ppm here in St. Jacobs) and mostly no straight spring water as well (too high)

What my plan of attack is, is to go to a local water store (Glenbriar Water in Waterloo) and fill a huge 18L jug with a mix of mostly RO with a small amount of spring water to buffer it. Have them check with a meter if possible to confirm the TDS is within range. Then ensure this is specifically for my espresso machine

I kind of came to this idea on my own and haven't done enough reading yet

Good idea? Bad? What's recommended? I'm all ears!

Thanks again, cheers!

palica

#7: Post by palica »

You are in coffee section. There is a water section. I think you should have a look at the right section, you will find all your answers, and if not, you can ask you question after an existing topic (or create a new one).

Advertisement
baldheadracing
Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing »

For water, note that Lelit has specific recommendations for water treatment (ion exchange) that are different from the usual wisdom here (RPavlis (RIP) water, typically using RO water).

I can not know who is right and who is wrong because I do not have a Lelit, and the issues that machines have had with some water formulations appear to be specific to Lelit.

As one might expect, there has been much prior discussion about this.

Good luck.

JamesB517

#9: Post by JamesB517 »

Try out Super Crema, and make sure to get the one with the latest BB date!
Life is like a shot of espresso. You never know what you're gonna get.