Comments on Favorite Espressos 2020

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
HB
Admin

#1: Post by HB »

The coffee will be roasted today (Monday July 13th) and will ship to participants on Thursday or Friday. Thanks!

UPDATED to add the reveal... the coffees are:

Spoiler: show
Coffee A = Klatch Coffee ~ Belle Espresso
Coffee B = Dragonfly Coffee ~ Espresso Crema Dolce
Coffee C = Caffe Lusso ~ Gran Miscela Carmo Espresso

You can see how participants voted here.

Dan Kehn

Qporzk

#2: Post by Qporzk »

As someone who has never really pulled "comfort blends" before, I'm curious if anyone has tips for getting good shots out of this kind of bean. Should I keep grinding fine and using flow control to get long shots, or should I back off and do a more classic 30 second shot with a few seconds of preinfusion? I want to make sure my results aren't wildly off-base, and that I'm giving these beans a fighting chance :D

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by LBIespresso »

Good point! I pretty much only drink this stuff at cafes. Almost never at home, so I could use some pointers too.
LMWDP #580

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#4: Post by RapidCoffee »

Comfort blends should, by definition, be easy to dial in using classic espresso settings. To start out, I'd suggest the recommended dose for your basket, typical espresso grind setting, moderate brew temperature (maybe 92C=198F), max brew pressure ~9bar, shot time ~30s, brew ratio 1:2. Don't overdo preinfusion. Once you're in the ballpark, tweak away until it tastes best.

Disclaimer: these are general comfort blend guidelines. I don't know how well they apply to these blends.
John
★ Helpful

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by LBIespresso replying to RapidCoffee »

Sounds like a good place to start. After that I will try to explore with Gábor's pressure kit and the thermocouple on my Cremina. I am way too exited for this.
LMWDP #580

mwebber

#6: Post by mwebber »

Hey Dan,

Did the coffees end up shipping today?

HB (original poster)
Admin

#7: Post by HB (original poster) »

Yes! The shipments arrived too late for yesterday's last pickup, so they went out early today. :D

Since all the packages are USPS 2-Day Priority Mail, they should arrive on Monday -- Tuesday at the latest. If participants prefer the origin to remain anonymous and need delivery status, they're welcome to contact me offline and I'll provide "masked" tracking information.

Dan Kehn
★★★ Very Helpful

lancealot

#8: Post by lancealot »

Thanks Dan!

joey22

#9: Post by joey22 »

Look at all that coffee! Super excited, thanks Dan!

Bret

#10: Post by Bret »

Brilliant!!

Thanks, sir!