Comments on Favorite Espressos 2020 - Page 19

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#181: Post by yakster »

jbviau wrote:+1 on the *thanks* to Dan for this experience! I've enjoyed it.

I'm still developing my espresso palate and espresso-making skills, so I didn't post my notes, but I'd like to add that I did brew a full pot of each coffee using the Brazen+. I thought B did the best as filter, though A and C were enjoyable brewed that way, too (though milder and less interesting in terms of acidity).
Joshua,

What temperature did you like for coffee B in your Brazen+?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

HotLava
Supporter ♡

#182: Post by HotLava »

Thanks Dan and all at HB. I really liked all the coffee. They really were not all that different. I have not had the GMC in a while and found I enjoyed it better then I remember. Even the Dragonfly seemed tastier. As for the Klatch Belle Espresso, I found I like that as well. I can see a kilo in my future.

Thanks again!
Joe

jbviau
Supporter ♡

#183: Post by jbviau »

yakster wrote:What temperature did you like for coffee B in your Brazen+?
Hi! I had it at 198 deg. Didn't play around with temp. much yet.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Prodigy

#184: Post by Prodigy »

I will say that I just opened my 2kg bag of caffe lusso GMC and it is a drastically different, and much better, coffee than bag C was. Not sure if the sample bag was just off somehow or if it was not what it was supposed to be, but im certain the bag I just opened is night and day different.

Freddofl

#185: Post by Freddofl »

I decided to pool some leftover beans from all three coffees and pull a frankenshot just for fun. It was mostly A and B though:

7.32g A
9.41g B
1.27g C
18g total in, 37 out, 28s

It wasn't bad, it wasn't great either. I guess creating espresso blends is more complex than mixing together leftover beans from other blends?

HotLava
Supporter ♡

#186: Post by HotLava »

Prodigy wrote:I will say that I just opened my 2kg bag of caffe lusso GMC and it is a drastically different, and much better, coffee than bag C was. Not sure if the sample bag was just off somehow or if it was not what it was supposed to be, but im certain the bag I just opened is night and day different.
I was working on a Kilo of the crema Dolce before the HB 2020 arrived. The HB crema Dolce was way tastier. Shots were sweeter and more balanced. I'm back to my old stash and it's much more bitter. Even when pulling a few seconds quicker and shorter.

I would imagine there can be inconsistencies in roasts batch to batch.
Joe

R@f@el A.

#187: Post by R@f@el A. »

Hi, all,

I froze a portion of Coffee B (Dragonfly Crema Dolce) and have been enjoying it this week. Initially, I tried to pull the coffee at the roaster's suggested parameters (21 g. in/38 g. out) in about 30 seconds and at 204 degrees on my LMLM and could not tame any of the sourness/citric notes that many others have noted earlier in this thread. At these parameters, the coffee also tasted disappointingly thin in milk drinks. More recently, I have tightened the grind a bit and have been pulling the coffee at 21 g. in/28-30 g. out in about 30-33 seconds (at same temperature as before) and have found the sourness to entirely disappear in straight shots and the coffee to display much more tasty and intense notes of chocolate in milk drinks. I am surprised that such a small adjustment in grind could make a night and day difference with this coffee. Would be interested to hear if others have had similar experiences.

sems

#188: Post by sems »

Finally got to work with C. Started with A, then B, then C. 160 grams at a time. I'd rank them C > B > A, and I did a side by side blind testing to choose between B and C. A was.. okay. I get it much better now after trying B and C. Probably the most comfort blend of them all, as I find B interesting and C quite adventurous. My routine was dialing in the shot somewhere between 17-19 grams and using Robot, apply a 10 second preinfusion, 15 second at 7 bars and decline slowly to 4 bars till I hit the weight. Usually ended up around 30 second mark for all of them, B being the most stubborn.

This was quite an eye opener experience for me as my espresso making journey is relatively new and I wasn't really into blends prior to getting the Robot. Enjoyed C the most, a very nice syrupy texture and fruity surprises. B was a close second, had the best crema, stellar in lattes but missing the fruity part that I enjoy. I wouldn't buy A again, B I'd like to revisit when I get my Niche and I'll probably get some more C soon, also turned my attention to trying other Cafe Lusso offerings.

Thanks Dan and the roasters that made this happen!

#finalreview