Comments on Favorite Espressos 2020 - Page 17

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
MatGreiner
Supporter ♡

#161: Post by MatGreiner »

I was displaced due to pandemic precautions and therefore away from my espresso-basically beginning the day the shipment arrived. :(

Reunited as of this morning-as voting is scheduled to close-I've been so excited to dive in. Only one shot pulled so far, and I enjoyed it. Everything was sealed and put in the freezer the day it arrived. I pulled the bag of B out last night.

Coffee B:
Aroma in bag is pleasant, sweet, nutty, and there's something sharp about it. The beans are lighter by a bunch vs my usual Kickapoo/Wonderstate Infrared.

18.1g in, 19g. out, 40sec.

I usually shoot for a 17.x dose and like to start at a 1:2. The inherited grind setting is clearly too tight, but I feel good that my first shot was a totally drinkable ristretto.

It had a slight must up front-sweet hay-And then a surprisingly dominant stone fruit flavor. Brighter than I might want subjectively but good and not overpowering or too harsh. That fades to a nougatty/ pea nutty flavor that was faint but good. Body was moderate, and the aftertaste was more characterized by the nuttiness and something else that was buttering but was not chocolate or smoke. It lingered long enough to be tasty and then cut out fairly completely.

The body and nuttier aspects remind me of some of the cleaner, better Javas I've loved.

Can't wait to dial in further, and I'm not yet decided on how I might try out the other samples.

Prodigy

#162: Post by Prodigy »

Haha, I've been slowly moving through bag C trying to get to my unopened bag of caffe lusso GMC. It doesn't taste like my last bag did, and I havent changed any settings. The pulls havent had that rich, even distribution i was getting on my last bag. Maybe I need to coarsen the grind a little.

So much fun trying these blind. Bag C was the only one I've tried before and I've only had it once before. I couldnt even tell that's what it was, and I did not vote for bag C. But that coffee is my new favorite and its probably all I want to order for a while because I like it so much. Maybe it was just an off batch? Does anyone else love caffe lusso GMC and didn't like this one that much blind??

Intrepid510

#163: Post by Intrepid510 »

HB wrote:And the coffees are:

Spoiler: show
Coffee A = Klatch Coffee ~ Belle Espresso
Coffee B = Dragonfly Coffee ~ Espresso Crema Dolce
Coffee C = Caffe Lusso ~ Gran Miscela Carmo Espresso

A huge THANK YOU to the roasters and members who participated. The review was a lot of fun and a bit of an eye-opener, too. :D

Thank you to all involved really enjoyed this.

Can we get a top ten in no particular order for all votes ?

DaveB

#164: Post by DaveB »

Intrepid510 wrote:Can we get a top ten in no particular order for all votes ?
What's wrong with the top 10 in order? 8)
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Bret
Supporter ♡

#165: Post by Bret »

I was able to pull more shots with all three in the days after my review posted in final rating thread: B stayed weak and thin for me. C stayed at the top, and the distance between C & A increased so, in the end, I only voted for C.

Many thanks to Dan for making this happen, and to all three roasters for supporting this and supplying the coffee! It was a first for me, and a lot of fun.

acg

#166: Post by acg »

Thanks for organizing this! It was fun! I guessed what C was correctly as I have ordered quite a bit recently. :)

MNate
Supporter ♡

#167: Post by MNate » replying to acg »

Well, shows I'm not as smart as you... "A" (Klatch Belle) was literally the last thing I ordered... and I didn't recognize it. I thought A and C (which I had longer ago) were much darker than I've been ordering lately, more like someone's guess of a Red Bird variety. So I even got out my frozen part of my Klatch order to compare... sure enough, exactly the same:

(Although I want to say fresh from the bag I thought there were more oil spots)

Several of us seemed deceived by this blind tasting. And I think I'm easily prejudiced against something for any number of reasons. Not exactly sure what I should learn from this process other than caution. Hmm...

dsblv
Supporter ♡

#168: Post by dsblv »

Prodigy wrote:....So much fun trying these blind. Bag C was the only one I've tried before and I've only had it once before. I couldnt even tell that's what it was, and I did not vote for bag C. But that coffee is my new favorite and its probably all I want to order for a while because I like it so much. Maybe it was just an off batch? Does anyone else love caffe lusso GMC and didn't like this one that much blind??
I've had Caffe Lusso GMC several times and and it was one of my old favorites. However, this batch was completely different than any previous purchase. Bag C tasted like burnt rubber to me. In fact, I thought Bag C may have been Lionshare because that coffee contains robusta beans. People who tried it later seemed to get much better results. So, perhaps I should have let it age a bit.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#169: Post by baristainzmking »

MNate wrote:Well, shows I'm not as smart as you... "A" (Klatch Belle) was literally the last thing I ordered... and I didn't recognize it. I thought A and C (which I had longer ago) were much darker than I've been ordering lately, more like someone's guess of a Red Bird variety. So I even got out my frozen part of my Klatch order to compare... sure enough, exactly the same:

(Although I want to say fresh from the bag I thought there were more oil spots)

Several of us seemed deceived by this blind tasting. And I think I'm easily prejudiced against something for any number of reasons. Not exactly sure what I should learn from this process other than caution. Hmm...
Is it just the picture or so the beans seem pretty unevenly roasted??
Julia

Balthazar_B

#170: Post by Balthazar_B » replying to baristainzmking »

Klatch doesn't provide any detail, but most likely they're taking two or more coffees, roasting each individually and optimally, and then blending them to hit the flavor profile they're shooting for. Can anyone with more info on the Klatch Belle process confirm?
- John

LMWDP # 577