Comfort Food Espresso: Cimarron Roasters Courthouse Blend - Page 5

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
chanty 77

#41: Post by chanty 77 »

cafeIKE wrote:1° is likely too small a change. Try 197° or 195°.

How accurate is the measured pour temperature on a 'Liz relative to meter indication?

Roaster recommendations or shop class machine settings seldom translate to small home units...

When dialing an unfamiliar coffee, 2°F steps work and when close ±≈0.5°

As originally stated, Courthouse is an antidote to too light lunacy roasts. If someone recommends an Agtron 95 roast, I'm likely going to give it a miss :roll:
I put the temp. to 197°........oh my goodness, so good. The bittersweet/syrupy more pronounced with no cherry at 200°, but at 197°--a whole new experience. Not acidic, but I get more of the fruit note mixed with the chocolate & syrupy all rolled together. It was delicious. Too bad I finished. If I was thinking, I should have played around with the temp from the get-go, lowering it.

cimarronEric
Sponsor

#42: Post by cimarronEric »

chanty 77 wrote:I have one more day before I finish the bag of Courthouse. The 250ml (8.8oz) lasted me 7 days. I got the baker's chocolate, syrupy--but really didn't detect the cherry. It (to me) was more single-faceted (again, that's my tastebuds). That's not a bad thing either. It was a little darker than I'm used to, but again not a bad thing. I've been at 17g, 28-30 seconds out, 200°. Tomorrow, the last day of it, I may actually put it down to 199° to see if I detect the cherry note.
At this point, I'm not sure if I will order again--as 8.8 oz. is not very much, and not loving it enough to order the larger size. Down the road, I may try it again.
I'd actually recommend a shorter time for the same amount in the cup. It tends to get a little salty and less fruity when the shot takes more than ~26 seconds. It's a very well developed roast so it's quite soluble and I find that a slightly coarser grind can help develop the fruity side. You might get more of an amaretto note if not cherry liqueur.
Cimarron Coffee Roasters
www.cimarronroasters.com

Advertisement
cimarronEric
Sponsor

#43: Post by cimarronEric »

chanty 77 wrote:I put the temp. to 197°........oh my goodness, so good. The bittersweet/syrupy more pronounced with no cherry at 200°, but at 197°--a whole new experience. Not acidic, but I get more of the fruit note mixed with the chocolate & syrupy all rolled together. It was delicious. Too bad I finished. If I was thinking, I should have played around with the temp from the get-go, lowering it.
This is great to hear. Lower temp would have a similar effect, for not over-extracting, as coarser grind(ish). I'm glad you found a way to enjoy it. You'll have to order more :D
Cimarron Coffee Roasters
www.cimarronroasters.com

cimarronEric
Sponsor

#44: Post by cimarronEric »

Milligan wrote:A small bag should be to my house on Monday to try. I've been looking for a nice crowd pleaser espresso for my house. Like a numbskull, I always end up ordering light, weird coffees because I like to try funky stuff and my wife and family ask why I don't just have a "normal" espresso. Looking forward to trying it.
Here's hoping it clears the crowd pleasing bar. Cheers!
Cimarron Coffee Roasters
www.cimarronroasters.com

chanty 77

#45: Post by chanty 77 »

cimarronEric wrote:This is great to hear. Lower temp would have a similar effect, for not over-extracting, as coarser grind(ish). I'm glad you found a way to enjoy it. You'll have to order more :D
Like I said, I wish I would have used my noggin earlier instead of on the last two doubles of the bag. Maybe cuz it still was pretty decent, but more one dimensional at the 200° tasting pretty much just the bittersweet chocolate. I have come to appreciate a little bit of fruit in most of the blends I use. I will never care for overly bright roasts. I just like more dimension in my drinks. I only drink cappuccinos, but not as much milk in them as a lot of people have. I am just trying freezing beans. Haven't taken the 12 oz. of a blend out of the freezer yet. I basically tried this because so many companies offer free shipping with three 12oz. bags (minimum). By the time I get to the third bag, I can tell something is happening--not so much by flavor, but need to make it either finer and/or much more grams.
I wish that your company would offer 12 oz. bags instead of the 8.8oz. bags. I'm not one for buying 2 lb. as I enjoy trying various blends. Twelve ounces would certainly be worth the extra amount charged for 3.2 ounces more.

cafeIKE (original poster)

#46: Post by cafeIKE (original poster) »

you can up your espresso a notch by splitting bags in 125g lots and freezing in Mason or other small jars. IMO, for most espresso I drink, two days is undetectable, three to four is just and five plus most certainly is. Sometimes I don't freeze the coffee for a more than a week after I receive, usually for a darker roast that needs more rest.

cimarronEric
Sponsor

#47: Post by cimarronEric »

chanty 77 wrote: I wish that your company would offer 12 oz. bags instead of the 8.8oz. bags. I'm not one for buying 2 lb. as I enjoy trying various blends. Twelve ounces would certainly be worth the extra amount charged for 3.2 ounces more.
I hear and understand your perspective.

I'm a gram weenie. We do everything in coffee in grams so I use grams for my system. 1/4 kilo bags keep it affordable to try or switch between coffees.

There is no panacea for pleasing on bag size, unfortunately.

I really appreciate you for trying (and liking :lol: ) Courthouse Blend and sharing your findings. Hopefully you'll get some more in the future, despite the bag size being less than optimal for you.
Cimarron Coffee Roasters
www.cimarronroasters.com

Advertisement
PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#48: Post by PIXIllate replying to cimarronEric »

Personally I much prefer 250g bag sizes over 340g or even 300g. At 3-5 shots a day I find this prevents me from experiencing that 2-3 day window where the decline from day 1 is very notable and keeps something new always coming up on the horizon. If I really get into something I just order two bags and open them one after another. I almost never end up doing this as it's nice to change styles at least once a week.

chanty 77

#49: Post by chanty 77 replying to PIXIllate »

12oz. typically only lasts me 8-9 days. so even if I order three different styles/blends/roasts at the same time, honestly I don't notice any problem in decline. Where I start to notice is the 3rd bag, and that really isn't in flavor--but having to have a tighter grind and/or noticeable more grams.

cafeIKE (original poster)

#50: Post by cafeIKE (original poster) »

!! F R E E Z E !!

Little to NO degradation over months :!: :!:
No dose or grinder adjustments. Just shot after shot consistently delicious espresso.

Frozen Coffee Storage Calculator