Comfort Food Espresso: Cimarron Roasters Courthouse Blend - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
chanty 77

#31: Post by chanty 77 »

cimarronEric wrote:I don't spend enough time on HB and have missed all this discussion of Courthouse lately.

I'm so pleased that you are finding it to be what you're looking for.

We target 7 days post roast before we put it on bar in the Roastery.

Our recipe, 19g in / 36g out / 25 seconds, is what we find works well as a standard in our Synesso on bar. When I've pulled shots on home machines (which I honestly don't do often) the ratio seems to hold well if I don't have a portafilter capable of 19g.

I hope you all will continue to experiment with and enjoy our coffees. And again, thank you for sharing your experiences on HB. It is such a wonderful resource for everyone.
Most of my blends are medium, some medium dark---I want to say that I set the temp. on most anywhere from 198° to 203°--with probably 200° and 201° the most common. What would you suggest for the Courthouse which I will plan on opening 6 day post roast (as I will run out of beans the day before) Thanks.

cimarronEric
Sponsor

#32: Post by cimarronEric » replying to chanty 77 »

We keep it right at 200 on our Synesso Cyncra in the shop.
Cimarron Coffee Roasters
www.cimarronroasters.com

chanty 77

#33: Post by chanty 77 » replying to cimarronEric »

Thanks.

chanty 77

#34: Post by chanty 77 »

I have one more day before I finish the bag of Courthouse. The 250ml (8.8oz) lasted me 7 days. I got the baker's chocolate, syrupy--but really didn't detect the cherry. It (to me) was more single-faceted (again, that's my tastebuds). That's not a bad thing either. It was a little darker than I'm used to, but again not a bad thing. I've been at 17g, 28-30 seconds out, 200°. Tomorrow, the last day of it, I may actually put it down to 199° to see if I detect the cherry note.
At this point, I'm not sure if I will order again--as 8.8 oz. is not very much, and not loving it enough to order the larger size. Down the road, I may try it again.

cafeIKE (original poster)
Supporter ★

#35: Post by cafeIKE (original poster) »

1° is likely too small a change. Try 197° or 195°.

How accurate is the measured pour temperature on a 'Liz relative to meter indication?

Roaster recommendations or shop class machine settings seldom translate to small home units...

When dialing an unfamiliar coffee, 2°F steps work and when close ±≈0.5°

As originally stated, Courthouse is an antidote to too light lunacy roasts. If someone recommends an Agtron 95 roast, I'm likely going to give it a miss :roll:

Milligan

#36: Post by Milligan »

A small bag should be to my house on Monday to try. I've been looking for a nice crowd pleaser espresso for my house. Like a numbskull, I always end up ordering light, weird coffees because I like to try funky stuff and my wife and family ask why I don't just have a "normal" espresso. Looking forward to trying it.

chanty 77

#37: Post by chanty 77 »

cafeIKE wrote:1° is likely too small a change. Try 197° or 195°.

How accurate is the measured pour temperature on a 'Liz relative to meter indication?

Roaster recommendations or shop class machine settings seldom translate to small home units...

When dialing an unfamiliar coffee, 2°F steps work and when close ±≈0.5°

As originally stated, Courthouse is an antidote to too light lunacy roasts. If someone recommends an Agtron 95 roast, I'm likely going to give it a miss :roll:
I'll try 197° today. Sorry, I feel like an idiot, but not quite understanding this, "How accurate is the measured pour temperature on a 'Liz relative to meter indication?"

slybarman

#38: Post by slybarman »

chanty 77 wrote:I have one more day before I finish the bag of Courthouse. The 250ml (8.8oz) lasted me 7 days. I got the baker's chocolate, syrupy--but really didn't detect the cherry. It (to me) was more single-faceted (again, that's my tastebuds). That's not a bad thing either. It was a little darker than I'm used to, but again not a bad thing. I've been at 17g, 28-30 seconds out, 200°. Tomorrow, the last day of it, I may actually put it down to 199° to see if I detect the cherry note.
At this point, I'm not sure if I will order again--as 8.8 oz. is not very much, and not loving it enough to order the larger size. Down the road, I may try it again.
The cherry acidity was much less pronounced when i went up on the temp to 200.

cafeIKE (original poster)
Supporter ★

#39: Post by cafeIKE (original poster) »

chanty 77 wrote:... not quite understanding this, "How accurate is the measured pour temperature on a 'Liz relative to meter indication?"
Unless calibrated, the set/indicated temperature may not be the actual puck brew temperature.

Environmental conditions affect the temperature. I run my brew boiler hotter in winter than in summer due to thermal losses from the forced air heating which don't occur here on the Pacific Coast in summer.

Temperature set points can vary due to component and mechanical installation differences. Temperatures measured with a Scace do not exactly match the temperature on a puck as the Scace flow is constant and and puck flow isn't.

I use one of Eric's group adapters w a calibrated thermometer. On the Vibiemme e61 group, shot temperature stabilizes at about the 12s mark after the first drop, dropping about 5°F for most coffees.

chanty 77

#40: Post by chanty 77 » replying to cafeIKE »

I have been keeping the brew temp dependent on the taste, too bitter, lower temp, too acidic, little bit higher temp. We have radiant heat & no a/c--so who knows. Thanks.