Comfort Food Espresso: Cimarron Roasters Courthouse Blend - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
kris772
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by kris772 »

yes, it is different sizing for US. I got the 250g (for $11!!!) as it was inexpensive and I knew it would be enough to tell. Next time I will probably get the 1kg and freeze it in small bunches so I will always have some on hand. I need to find some small squishable containers that are about 3 shots, or maybe 6 shots, that I can easily access. and still get the air out when I re-freeze them. I saw those syringe looking things for one dose... Getting beans out of these bags, inside a ziplock, - seems like there could be an easier way. There are tons of plastic freezer containers available but none of them squish, so a lot of air is hitting that last remaining dose...

3rd shot was faster, maybe a skitch too hot, but resting very easily on my tongue.
Life is too short for bad espresso! - Thunk-ed, NOT stirred!

chanty 77

#12: Post by chanty 77 »

Jeff wrote:250 g is a very common size globally. It is around 13-14 shots.

Another common size is 100 g.
Everything I've tried is 12 oz. except for one that was 10 oz. If I really am desirous to try a smaller amount to see if I love it enough to get 2 lbs., I would definitely do it.

chanty 77

#13: Post by chanty 77 »

Okay, I couldn't help myself. Since shipping was only $3 for the almost 9oz. bag--I ordered a bag to try.

chanty 77

#14: Post by chanty 77 »

kris772 wrote:I latte'ed it and am still enjoying it. Probably not in an americano... It's 4 days old so I labeled it and tossed it in the freezer (tape over valve, inside ziplok bag). I have 3 in there now so will rotate and see who wins but I have a feeling this will. Yum! Soft! Hint of chocolaty! Very nice!!!

How many grams do you dose? Depending on the roast--I go anywhere from about 16.8g to 18.5g. The site says 200° & 19g. Seems a little dose heavy. Thanks, appreciate it.

kris772
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by kris772 »

chanty 77 wrote: How many grams do you dose? Depending on the roast--I go anywhere from about 16.8g to 18.5g. The site says 200° & 19g. Seems a little dose heavy. Thanks, appreciate it.
It varies. For this one I am doing about 17.4g simply because that seems to work for these beans for me on my grinder. I have not tried different doses on it - I do not diddle that much and I try not to waste beans, especially these. As to the "200" I can't hit anywhere that close (would need a dual boiler) so I simply aim for somewhere in the middle via my flush before I pull. It's probably 200-202 though I think I was still at 203 on the last pull. But I don't really care as long as it is drinkable and good. There was just an edge of bitter in it. Timing a flush depends on when you last pulled, and luck. If I had a Scace device I could play with it tons and learn its foibles and probably more dependably get a bit closer to a particular temp, but it's an HX and it will never be exact. The water flows from the HX to the 3-way and to the brew head in about 8" of uninsulated pipe, and then hits the hot brewhead. So the temp of the water goes up and down and up on its travels. and while it is flowing into the puck. It depends a lot on how fast your pull happens to be - how fine did you grind those beans! Pump pressure (if boiler heater turns on, or off during pull) varies. The temp of the water in the reservoir depends on how long the machine has been on and how close it is to the boiler, and the effective insulation of the side panels of the unit. The max temp of the water in the HX should be somewhere close to 256 (depending on where your pressurestat is set). The preliminary flush to get rid of the boiling water steam lowers that but milliseconds matter - can you stop a flush that fast? Based on what? Basically only on experience.

I think you need a dual boiler to be able to say you are brewing at a specific temp, though that depends a lot on the design of the machine and how well the thermosyphon works. As to different dosing, anyone can dose differently, but different doses need different temperatures and grinds. You can drive yourself crazy trying to control all those things.
You have an Elizabeth - no slouch! I believe that is a DB. You should be able to do some playing with temperature, much more than I. You could try to aim for what they recommend, but serendipity may be your best ally! What you measure, wherever it is measured, is different from what actually is hitting the puck.

EDIT - I had a note here dissing redbird but I tried it for the first time this morning and enjoyed it. So my freezer runneth over with beans I enjoy! (Red Bird Mountain High frozen 2 days ago at day 4 in 2 foodsaver bags. ) Yum!

chanty 77

#16: Post by chanty 77 »

kris772 wrote:It varies. For this one I am doing about 17.4g simply because that seems to work for these beans for me on my grinder. I have not tried different doses on it - I do not diddle that much and I try not to waste beans, especially these. As to the "200" I can't hit anywhere that close (would need a dual boiler) so I simply aim for somewhere in the middle via my flush before I pull. It's probably 200-202 though I think I was still at 203 on the last pull. But I don't really care as long as it is drinkable and good. There was just an edge of bitter in it. Timing a flush depends on when you last pulled, and luck. If I had a Scace device I could play with it tons and learn its foibles and probably more dependably get a bit closer to a particular temp, but it's an HX and it will never be exact. The water flows from the HX to the 3-way and to the brew head in about 8" of uninsulated pipe, and then hits the hot brewhead. So the temp of the water goes up and down and up on its travels. and while it is flowing into the puck. It depends a lot on how fast your pull happens to be - how fine did you grind those beans! Pump pressure (if boiler heater turns on, or off during pull) varies. The temp of the water in the reservoir depends on how long the machine has been on and how close it is to the boiler, and the effective insulation of the side panels of the unit. The max temp of the water in the HX should be somewhere close to 256 (depending on where your pressurestat is set). The preliminary flush to get rid of the boiling water steam lowers that but milliseconds matter - can you stop a flush that fast? Based on what? Basically only on experience.

I think you need a dual boiler to be able to say you are brewing at a specific temp, though that depends a lot on the design of the machine and how well the thermosyphon works. As to different dosing, anyone can dose differently, but different doses need different temperatures and grinds. You can drive yourself crazy trying to control all those things.
You have an Elizabeth - no slouch! I believe that is a DB. You should be able to do some playing with temperature, much more than I. You could try to aim for what they recommend, but serendipity may be your best ally! What you measure, wherever it is measured, is different from what actually is hitting the puck.

OTOH I have a # of redbird mountain high in the freezer and I anticipate I will be using 21g with it as it was NOT outgassing at a supposed 4 days when I got it. wheras the Cimarron WAS -(much more fresh).
Thanks for that! I love the Elizabeth. I use a temp. of anywhere between 199°-203°. I like to ask people (especially with the grams on a new bean I'm trying--especially when there isn't much to waste to begin with). I will try it at about 6 days post roast as I will then run out of the Classic (B&W) I'm using now. One good thing with the Elizabeth is if say I set it at 201° & it is a tad too bitter, I just put it down to 200° & it'll be great. Same if it is a little too acidic, I bump the temp up a little bit.

kris772
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by kris772 »

chanty 77 wrote:Thanks for that! I love the Elizabeth. I use a temp. of anywhere between 199°-203°. I like to ask people (especially with the grams on a new bean I'm trying--especially when there isn't much to waste to begin with). I will try it at about 6 days post roast as I will then run out of the Classic (B&W) I'm using now. One good thing with the Elizabeth is if say I set it at 201° & it is a tad too bitter, I just put it down to 200° & it'll be great. Same if it is a little too acidic, I bump the temp of a little bit.
That's a good ad for the Elizabeth! :)

I wouldn't wait for 6 days on the courthouse. It's great at 4 and I froze it at 4 so it will hopefully stay near that.

chanty 77

#18: Post by chanty 77 replying to kris772 »

I really don't like any of my beans from a bunch of different roasters before the 6 days. That's me though.

kris772
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by kris772 replying to chanty 77 »

That's cool!

kris772
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by kris772 »

Sorry about OT...
I had a note in here back a few posts which I corrected but Linda quoted it so I will put correction in new post:

EDIT - I had a note here dissing redbird but I tried this batch for the first time this morning and enjoyed it. So my freezer runneth over with beans I enjoy! (Red Bird Mountain High frozen 2 days ago at day 4 in 2 foodsaver bags. ) Yum!

I had complained about them not outgassing, but when I opened one of the frozen foodsaver bags a wonderful aroma burst forth. And when I brewed it I was pleased - strong espresso -like, nutty, dried fruit. Very tasty. So, sorry about the incorrect diss!

Again, 17.4g . This seems to work well for me with my "Dragon" -type beast! Was following Dan's timing more closely - flush maybe 3 full seconds after no-steam on a fully warmed-up machine. Then immediately PI and go.

BUT - it's wonderful knowing I have Courthouse in the freezer!