Cometeer coffee experience

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
DoubleR
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by DoubleR »

I'm looking for a simple, in a rush, high quality coffee option. Does anyone have experience with Cometeer? I searched the forums and didn't find much. I'm interested in them due to the collaborations they have with roasters like George Howell. If you've had these Cometeer cups, how does it compare to the at home bean, grind, make form?

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

I've been with them since the beginning, and it's honestly the best "convenience coffee" that exists. When I get busy or don't want to make noise, this is what I reach for. I'm not saying it's as good as freshly ground/brewed, but it's not far off.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Epicurus

#3: Post by Epicurus »

I find they're a good quick option, though priced a bit high for its convenience. The flavor is overall pretty good as well, just a little flat or stale tasting in my opinion. I use them as a travel option or keep a few in the office freezer. I'd probably purchase them more often if the price wasn't so much.

gingerjess

#4: Post by gingerjess »

They're extremely good for what they are; pretty close to (though slightly less complex than) a decently-executed pourover IMO. I don't drink them every day, but they're nice to have on hand if I'm in a rush or if someone who's not me needs to make coffee (and not mess with my espresso grind settings). My first order (32 pods) went for about 6 months.

I think the key differentiator for me, versus other "quick coffee" options, was that I actually do get the tasting notes described on the package. It's quick coffee for people who care about the flavor of coffee, not quick coffee for people who happened to grow up in a culture where coffee is the socially-normative way of delivering caffeine.

RTOBarista
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by RTOBarista »

I have been using them and it is very good. I had a Nespresso coffee and espresso machine. The Cometeer is about $2.00 per cup. Nespresso was $1.25 to $1.75 per cup not including the machine. The Nespesso required descaling which was a pain. The taste is better than many of my pour overs.

I recall James Hoffman had a positive review.

tv79

#6: Post by tv79 »

jbviau wrote:I've been with them since the beginning, and it's honestly the best "convenience coffee" that exists. When I get busy or don't want to make noise, this is what I reach for. I'm not saying it's as good as freshly ground/brewed, but it's not far off.
+1

I do wish they didn't require a subscription (takes me awhile to go through an order), but it is easy enough to pause/cancel.

DoubleR (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by DoubleR (original poster) »

I just signed up for this. My first box will be the mixed pack so I can taste what they have to offer. I already changed by subscription to an 8 week cycle. My guess is that even that will be too short of an interval since I'm mainly pulling espresso. But it looks like its super easy to change the dates of the next delivery, pause, etc.. I look forward to grabbing one of these in the mornings that I'm rushing to the office.

chockfullofbutts

#8: Post by chockfullofbutts »

They're great in my household for when I'm not around and my wife wants a good, easy coffee.
The flavors of the few that I've had have been very interesting from fruity to caramel notes. Also kind of neat that I get to try Square Mile coffee this way.

It's a bit expensive but right now a Dunkin Donuts coffee in NYC is nearly $3 so that puts things into perspective.

heytchap

#9: Post by heytchap »

I like cometeer and keep a freezer full of them just in case I have a sudden craving for half-caf or am too busy to make a coffee.

The coffee itself has always been great, consistent, easy. I have had so, so many problems with them as a company though. They've always pulled through in the end and got me sorted, but there's been growing pains for sure.

Acavia

#10: Post by Acavia »

Can you buy without a subscription? I would like to try it but have no interest in a subscription.