Coffees with strong blueberry notes?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
cactus_farmer

#1: Post by cactus_farmer »

The thing that got me into coffee in the first place was a bag of Taylors pre-ground coffee that I made using a cafetiere that actually tasted of blueberry - I believe it was an Ethiopian Harrar. It isn't sold any more.

Since then, I've upgraded my grinder to a unimodal flat burr, and now brew with a V60 mainly - but it's been 8 years and I still haven't had a blueberry flavour that prominent since.

The Ethiopians (and Africans) I brew now all taste pretty much of some sort of acidic citrus or red berry - haven't really come close to blueberry. Harrar coffees seen to be quite difficult to find in general, but I bought one bag recently, and it is kind of 'vegetal' in flavour - so different to the usual citrus, but not blueberry.

Has anyone come across a coffee that actually has strong blueberry flavour? Preferably one available in the UK?

Or is the V60 and/or the SSP Multipurpose grinder I'm using just making everything too acidic to be able to taste any blueberry notes?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

I haven't been impressed with most Ethiopian or Kenyan coffees over the last couple of years the way that I was 3-5 years ago. I've had some that were pleasant, but nothing memorable in good ways. I don't think it is you or your gear.

There might be some actionable suggestions at Blueberry (or any berry) bomb coffee recommendations?

hankua
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by hankua »

I got this one in recently and only roasted it once, with a bit too much development; medium light on Tonino. That being said it's got blueberry, even when blended 20% with something else. Ethiopia Worka Sakaro Anaerobic Natural.

Dav

#4: Post by Dav »

Worth a read if you're wondering why things aren't the same with Ethiopian coffee anymore: https://christopherferan.com/2023/04/09 ... -ethiopia/
★ Helpful

Almico

#5: Post by Almico »

I struggled the past two years with Ethiopia naturals trying to retain the past blueberry notes I used to get in E. Hambela and others. I just brought in 4 bags of E. Ardi ("unwashed" as it's labeled on the bags) that is absolutely stellar, clean as can be and almost geisha-like. If it's not a 90-point coffee, it's as close as I've cupped...ever. So for me it's a fair swap: novelty blueberry notes in so-so coffee for a wider variety of fruits and florals and a much cleaner cup.
★ Helpful

BaristaBob

#6: Post by BaristaBob »

I use to get that blueberry note along with milk chocolate in Counter Culture's Hologram. It was stellar, but nothing close to blueberry in the last two to three years. Every year I buy a bag to see if the blueberry is back...still waiting!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by dparrish »

Verve's The Sermon. I used to subscribe to it. Haven't had it in a while, it used to be good, just went on to try other things. They still advertise it as "Blueberry Pie".

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC »

Almico wrote:I struggled the past two years with Ethiopia naturals trying to retain the past blueberry notes I used to get in E. Hambela and others. I just brought in 4 bags of E. Ardi ("unwashed" as it's labeled on the bags) that is absolutely stellar, clean as can be and almost geisha-like. If it's not a 90-point coffee, it's as close as I've cupped...ever. So for me it's a fair swap: novelty blueberry notes in so-so coffee for a wider variety of fruits and florals and a much cleaner cup.

Blend that with a decent Costa Rican that's clean and crisp and I'm a buyer.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

BaristaBob

#9: Post by BaristaBob »

dparrish wrote:Verve's The Sermon. I used to subscribe to it. Haven't had it in a while, it used to be good, just went on to try other things. They still advertise it as "Blueberry Pie".

Tried this one four years ago, no blueberry for me. I so wanted to taste the "blueberry pie". :(
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

chanty 77

#10: Post by chanty 77 »

BaristaBob wrote:
Tried this one four years ago, no blueberry for me. I so wanted to taste the "blueberry pie". :(
I loved the blueberries in that blend that popped out, delicious. Sad to say, that was the ONE blend from Verve that had about 1/4 of a bag of shells in it. The company refunded me, but couldn't promise it wouldn't happen again & didn't know why it did. So I moved on. Hopefully that changed.