Coffees with strong blueberry notes? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
AnotherADDiction

#11: Post by AnotherADDiction »

I, unfortunately, cannot taste the fruit notes, but love harrar regardless.

I have been getting it from kaldi.com - you can only buy 5lbs min. My wife immediately said, yuch, I hate the berry taste, to it's there. I am on my 4th order and I think that the quality has gone down some. They have been out of the organic for way too long. I am giving up on harrar I think (I still have a few lbs left). I've been digging black and whites 'The Classic', but it isn't harrar, just good for me.

I am anxiously watching this thread and will buy harrar as soon as I can source some (of not, I probably will go to kaldi again. They do give you a discount when you register with a new email address, they do have good prices. I do see more quakers in my last buy, last month.

Bean_Thinking

#12: Post by Bean_Thinking »

I'm not a single origin expert by any means, but I can confirm that this bag that I'm working on now has unmistakeable blueberry stuff happening: https://blackoakcoffee.com/products/br ... ba-natural

I don't know how extreme a real blueberry bomb can get, but I suspect this isn't it: it's not a constant presence, more of a first sip/first sip in a minute sort of thing, for me anyway. And this is probably my fault, but I'd say it only happens every other shot. But like I said, it's unmistakeable. I wasn't looking for it... just suddenly "OH HEY IT'S A BLUEBERRY". First time I've experienced such a distinct non-coffee flavor. It was a little surprising, really.

I really enjoy this coffee even when it's not doing the blueberry thing, too!

lancealot

#13: Post by lancealot »

OP, I hear you. I even feel like blends that have fruitier components, like Sermon by Verve have lost some of their berry punch. I just picked up some Christmas in July by Black and White Roasters. I am drinking my first cup from it now from a Clever Dripper. I think it hits the mark. They specialize in fruitier, funkier coffees. Some can be a little over the top. I think this one is pretty great, maybe not my daily driver, but it sure scratches an itch.

AnotherADDiction

#14: Post by AnotherADDiction »

I don't like the funkier, new style stuff, like b and w is known for, but I really like their normal blend. They do good stuff.

I have been wanting to try Black Oak, they sound good. I think that I will have to order some black bart from them to see. As soon as I go through some beans and free up room I will try them out.

Coffee_hound

#15: Post by Coffee_hound »

Same here. I first had hologram about 3 years ago which I was brewing using aeropress. The blueberry and milk chocolate notes were very pronounced and I thought the coffee was amazing.
Last time I purchased last year I tried to brew as espresso and could only get an very bright lemon-berry note. Tried it as aeropress again and it still seemed different. I couldn't figure out where I was going wrong but this seems to explain it, the coffee changed.

chanty 77

#16: Post by chanty 77 »

lancealot wrote:OP, I hear you. I even feel like blends that have fruitier components, like Sermon by Verve have lost some of their berry punch. I just picked up some Christmas in July by Black and White Roasters. I am drinking my first cup from it now from a Clever Dripper. I think it hits the mark. They specialize in fruitier, funkier coffees. Some can be a little over the top. I think this one is pretty great, maybe not my daily driver, but it sure scratches an itch.
I have two 12oz. bags of their Christmas in July (or Holiday--that I LOVED). Will open the first bag tomorrow. Hoping it's as good as the Holiday I ordered twice over when it was available.

mathof

#17: Post by mathof »

Rocko Mountain (Foundry Coffee Roasters)

cactus_farmer (original poster)

#18: Post by cactus_farmer (original poster) replying to mathof »

Thanks for the recommendation - especially as you live in the UK! (Shipping rates from USA are prohibitive)

The roasters themselves don't mention any blueberry notes - are they selling themselves short? And have you had a batch of it recently? Just aware that the taste of the beans apparently changes over time...

mathof

#19: Post by mathof replying to cactus_farmer »

Unfortunately, I haven't had any recently. What I recall is several years ago preparing some as filter coffee and tasting a strong blueberry flavour. I think it was the first time I had unambiguously recognised a fruit flavour note. I don't know what this year's batch tastes like, but it wouldn't hurt to drop Foundry a note asking about it. They are very friendly and responsive.

DrugOfChoice

#20: Post by DrugOfChoice »

I love the blueberry bomb profile, but I find it's very rare and unpredictable. Once in while I get a bag that blows me away, but often a different bag of the same coffee from the same roaster just won't have it. And almost always, even if a roaster labels a coffee as having blueberry notes, they just don't stand out to me.

A recent example was a coffee from Happy Mug labelled Yirgacheffe Adisu Kidane. I had two 2lb bags which were roasted at the same time that was one of my favorite coffees ever, with a very strong and distinct blueberry note. Then the coffee went off their menu, but came back after a while. When I saw it was available again, I reordered it, but it just wasn't as good, more like the normal Ethiopian naturals that I tend to like, but that don't stand out as particularly special.

Even though that blueberry bomb profile is pretty much my favorite, it's so elusive and unpredictable that I think chasing it just leads to frustration. I happen to like natural Ethiopians in general, so that's what I frequently drink. If and when I happen to get a batch where the blueberry note really pops, I just enjoy it as a pleasant surprise.