Coffeereview.com

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Apr 20, 2017, 6:14 pm

I am thinking about subscribing to the Coffee Review website and thought I would ask for opinions here first. Is there a general consensus about the quality and accuracy of the reviews? Any fans here?

Rocky

Boldjava

Postby Boldjava » Apr 20, 2017, 6:46 pm

Should you subscribe, note that Davids' point system runs at least 7-9 points higher than SCA scoring system, IMHO. Others may disagree. http://www.coffeereview.com/interpret-coffee/

<Edit: see Dan's post below>

I have never been able to ascertain if growers pay to have Davids review and publicize their coffees. I assume so but don't know that factually.
-----
LMWDP #339

HB
Admin

Postby HB » Apr 20, 2017, 7:17 pm

According to review services:

coffeereview.com wrote:There is no charge to roasters for reviews published in association with our monthly tasting reports... Sensory assessments of coffee samples for confidential use can be purchased directly from Kenneth Davids as part of his consulting services.

I don't know if being an advertiser influences their submission acceptance. Obviously, someone who advertises there would be motivated to submit samples, so it may be a chicken-and-egg thing.
Dan Kehn

TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Apr 20, 2017, 8:40 pm

If you want to be able to advertise the scores you received on a coffee you had them review, you have to pay for it. Dustin went thru this with TurningPoint. It's about $700 annually and you can submit multiple samples. As mentioned above, you can send in a coffee to be reviewed (at their discretion, they can choose to ignore it) for free, but it's not a review that can be linked and shared for marketing purposes.

Alan Frew

Postby Alan Frew » Apr 21, 2017, 8:48 am

Boldjava wrote:Should you subscribe, note that Davids' point system runs at least 7-9 points higher than SCA scoring system, IMHO. Others may disagree. http://www.coffeereview.com/interpret-coffee/

<Edit: see Dan's post below>

I have never been able to ascertain if growers pay to have Davids review and publicize their coffees. I assume so but don't know that factually.

Ken's scoring system has mutated over the years, much like a famous Australian wine judge, James Halliday, www.winecompanion.com.au. I've yet to taste a coffee or a wine from either one that I haven't marked down by at least 5 points, and in some cases by more than 10 points.

One factor to consider is that we're all getting old (in Halliday's case ancient) and our palates simply don't work as well as they did when we were at our peaks in our 40's and 50's. I do a lot of reference cupping, and I know that there are flavour nuances I can no longer detect. Getting old sucks, except for the alternative. Basing your buying decisions on ancient guys with buggered tastebuds is also likely to lead to suckage.

Alan

Boldjava

Postby Boldjava » Apr 21, 2017, 10:56 am

Alan, as a fellow aging traveler, you had me chuckling. Post of the week.
-----
LMWDP #339

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Apr 21, 2017, 11:06 am

Thank you all for the information and opinions. I will think about it some more before paying for reviews.

Rocky

another_jim
Team HB

Postby another_jim » Apr 24, 2017, 2:27 am

Alan Frew wrote:One factor to consider is that we're all getting old ... and our palates simply don't work as well as they did when we were at our peaks in our 40's and 50's.

Shhhh! :cry:

For the record, my taste is as acute as ever ... if only I could find the coffee.

RioCruz

Postby RioCruz » Apr 24, 2017, 9:47 am

Alan Frew wrote:Basing your buying decisions on ancient guys with buggered tastebuds is also likely to lead to suckage.

This quote deserves a place of honor! :)
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

David R.

Postby David R. » May 01, 2017, 6:50 am

another_jim wrote:For the record, my taste is as acute as ever ... if only I could find the coffee.

I thought mine was shot, until a recent sabbatical in Oslo, where the coffee knocked my socks off. (As did the price, unfortunately.)
David R.

Sponsored by intelligentsiacoffee.com
www.intelligentsiacoffee.com: home of the black cat project