Coffee taste profile help

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
sleepyfish

#1: Post by sleepyfish »

Hi all,

I am super impressed by the knowledge on this forum. I have a question that maybe you can help answer. I like to try different coffees, I use both a moka pot and a Gaggia classic pro. On this coffee I enjoy a lot the aroma and the nuances are spot on when using the moka pot. On the Gaggia.... Sigh.... The espresso tastes "sour" but I am not sure if it's not actually just the normal taste of this coffee accentuated by a tighter shot (16.5 in , 32-40 out in about 30-40 sec)
When I brew darker roasts on gaggia the taste is delicious so it might be just my expectation. Would you expect a sour/acidic taste on this coffee brewed as espresso? I tried various pulls and they all are fairly similar. On the moka pot the nuances are subtle and nice, on espresso they seem super accentuated and unpleasant to me.
Thank you!

Miltonedgebert

#2: Post by Miltonedgebert »

My knee-jerk thought is that the moka pot is probably brewing hotter. That may be making most of the difference.

sleepyfish (original poster)

#3: Post by sleepyfish (original poster) »

Thank you. Assuming that is correct, in your opinion should Ijust stay away from roasts like this and stick to darker ones on the gaggia?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Maybe try 14 g and pre-heat the portafilter to get rid of the sourness with your Gaggia.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#5: Post by sleepyfish (original poster) »

Thanks, will try! From what I've been reading here, this washed coffee at 1000-1400m can be considered "high altitude"? And in that case I should not even try it with espresso? Please forgive my ignorance, I've read that high altitude washed coffees should only be used as 10-20% on a blend. Still discovering this stuff... thank you so much.

Miltonedgebert

#6: Post by Miltonedgebert »

sleepyfish wrote:Thank you. Assuming that is correct, in your opinion should Ijust stay away from roasts like this and stick to darker ones on the gaggia?
I don't have specific advice to give on your machine, I only have a Robot. I did a quick search and it looks like you can get the temp up by surfing on the gaggia. There are several threads here.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

Temperature surfing should really help. I see the check mark on the label for a coffee bean icon and not one for the icons for brewed coffee or espresso which may mean it's recommended for both uses. I often pull shots of high altitude coffee as espresso.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

filmdubber

#8: Post by filmdubber replying to yakster »

That is just the grind selections.. he choose whole bean.

Either way - yes - I pull high Alt shots all the time aswell. Should be fine with temp surfing as yakster said - also try going for a lungo extract a bit longer.

#9: Post by sleepyfish (original poster) »

Thanks for all the advice. I was reading Jim's guide to espresso and he was saying that high altitude washed beans should be avoided, that's why I was asking...
I tried temp surfing and 14 g lungo shot. Much better. Thank you!

mathof

#10: Post by mathof »

sleepyfish wrote:Thanks for all the advice. I was reading Jim's guide to espresso and he was saying that high altitude washed beans should be avoided, that's why I was asking...
Did he give a reason for that opinion? I pull high altitude washed beans -- whether roasted by me or someone else -- all the time, because I like them.