Coffee similar to Onyx Southern Weather?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
berfles

#1: Post by berfles »

As in tasting notes and all... I had that one recently and it's probably the best regular coffee I've made in my french press. I'm not too fond of it only being 10oz though and costing what it does.

I got Dragonfly Roasters' Creme Dolce and it sounded amazing on paper and the beans smell wonderful, but once brewed it's not very good. I don't typically tweak my ratios or anything from bag to bag and I haven't run into a coffee I dislike so much...

Maybe I should just buy the Onyx again, just wondering what else is out there.

Petraidm

#2: Post by Petraidm »

Onyx Sothern weather is available in 4oz, 10oz, 2lbs and 5 lbs packaging

Advertisement
berfles (original poster)

#3: Post by berfles (original poster) »

I know, my point was I'm not fond of paying 12oz prices for 10oz of coffee. I get that That's the way things are going lately with cost increases, but it's still doesn't sit well with me.

pschloes

#4: Post by pschloes »

I have enjoyed Cimarron Roasters Courthouse blend and Hatch Roasters Gamma

kinda-niche

#5: Post by kinda-niche »

If you really liked the coffee, buying 5 lbs is the way to go. Straight up 30+% savings over the smaller bags. Also maybe check out the year round coffees from Black and White. They are known to be reliably good, their prices are slightly lower, and you get the option of buying 2 lbs for free shipping.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by Milligan »

I'd recommend Black and White as well. Quality just as good if not better than Onyx, more reasonable prices and much less packaging. Not sure which one to guide you toward. Southern Weather usually isn't as fruit forward as The Future. Perhaps the Classic or the Original. The Traditional would be more like Monoarch or Eclipse.

goalerjones

#7: Post by goalerjones »

kinda-niche wrote:If you really liked the coffee, buying 5 lbs is the way to go. Straight up 30+% savings over the smaller bags. Also maybe check out the year round coffees from Black and White. They are known to be reliably good, their prices are slightly lower, and you get the option of buying 2 lbs for free shipping.
Just ordered a 2lb bag of "The Classic", thanks for the tip.

Advertisement

#8: Post by berfles (original poster) »

Can't make my mind up between Classic and Orginal... both sound good.

Also just ordering a bigger bag of the Onyx is still on my mind, but I'm still all about trying new coffees.

kinda-niche

#9: Post by kinda-niche »

I am actually going through a bag of The Original. It's a coffee for the adventurous drinker. Ok maybe not as out there as their single origin anaerobic processed coffees, but it is certainly not a "classic" taste profile. It is still super fresh and not yet 10 days past the roast date (the roaster recommends 10-14 days of degassing), but I have already been appreciating how sweet the coffee is (I brew it as espresso). There is plenty of acidity, but it is not sourness. It's what people tend to describe as pleasant acidity, and in this case, entirely reminiscent of fruit juice. I do not get any honey note yet (maybe it will evolve as time passes), but there is indeed a little bit of chocolate and loads of lemonade juiciness.

I am on their year-round subscription, so looking forward to trying The Classic and other offerings in the coming months. Black & White gets consistently good reviews here and elsewhere, so keeping my fingers crossed.

#10: Post by berfles (original poster) »

I wound up going with The Classic through Bottomless, so I guess I'll see how I like it. Thanks for the suggestions guy!