Coffee Roaster Review Tiered List

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
DoubleR
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by DoubleR »

I ran across a YouTube channel dedicated to coffee reviews today, called Coffee Reviews, and became interested in his tiered ranking of US and Canada roasters. I'd like to get some opinions on the roasters he had in the World Class and Amazing category. Here is a link to his YouTube channel. I'm generally new to specialty coffee and I find channels like CoffeeReviews a good way to expand my horizon with a hopefully high hit rate. http://www.youtube.com/@CoffeeReviews

Below are the top two categories. If any of you have had experience with these, good or bad, I'd be keen to hear it since I'll be looking to order some of these.

World Class:
Passenger
Roseline
Sweet Bloom

Amazing:
Blind Tiger
Coava
Heart
Ilse
Luna
Madcap
Ruby
Sey

Note his other categories were: Great, Good, Okay, and Not My Cup. He had a bunch of other roasters in these other categories.
LMWDP #755

spressomon

#2: Post by spressomon »

The only roaster in that list that I have a decent amount of experience with is Coava. I've enjoyed each and every SO & blend from them.
No Espresso = Depresso

Advertisement
BaristaBob

#3: Post by BaristaBob »

The only roaster on that list I've experienced is Passenger. Excellent, they specialize in lighter roast but do it very well. A little on the pricey side, but worth it, IMO.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

HRace

#4: Post by HRace »

Sweetbloom is a great roaster.

They are my "go to" for a few reasons. Consistency is the primary reason. They are always very very good. I can't remember the last bag I had that was not roasted correctly with properly developed flavors that extract easily.

Next: COST! It's shocking the value. Their 12oz bags are around $18-$20. Tough to match that lately, with their quality. 10, 10.5, or 10.8 oz bags seem the be the normal for $18-20. On top of that, a really great subscription system that is easily delayed for as far out as you want, is $36 shipped for 2 12oz bags!

I've been enjoying the Fellow Drops service as they weed out junk and typically highlight well roasted beans from varying roasters. I believe I'm up to 20 different roasters tried through them and even after trying many many roasters, sweet bloom is my go to. Even through Fellow drops, I get stuff that is only so-so but it's been fantastic to get to try roasters from other countries like Denmark, etc. I still need to try Passenger, been waiting for the right coffee! Anyway, just a vouch for sweet bloom if anyone was hesitant to try them out.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by LBIespresso »

+1 for Passenger
LMWDP #580

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Pressino »

HRace wrote:Sweetbloom is a great roaster.

Next: COST! It's shocking the value. Their 12oz bags are around $18-$20. Tough to match that lately, with their quality. 10, 10.5, or 10.8 oz bags seem the be the normal for $18-20. On top of that, a really great subscription system that is easily delayed for as far out as you want, is $36 shipped for 2 12oz bags!
Wow! I had no idea roasted coffee prices have gotten so high, since I mainly roast my own (beans from Sweet Maria's) and rarely buy roasted coffee anymore, except occasionally Peet's). These prices are a very compelling reason to roast your own. :shock:

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Shakespeare »

Passenger: purchased 3 lbs two weeks ago... I am enjoying their offerings. Light roasts for my pour-over.

Different opinion compared to 'BaristaBob' " A little on the pricey side, but worth it, IMO."
My opinion...'I don't find their coffees a "little pricey"

Advertisement
michael

#8: Post by michael »

I'd move sey into world class, expensive but very interesting coffees 8)