Coffee recommendations similar to Vivace Dolce - Page 5

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Spitz.me

#41: Post by Spitz.me »

slybarman wrote:I came back to Malabar this morning. Almost two weeks post roast and while less bad, I still can't get anything I am happy to drink. I tried a range of temps and doses. There is an overarching flavor that I can't seem to get rid of. I can smell it too. I am not quite sure how to describe the flavor, but it is not pleasant. I am not getting any sweetness to it at all. This isn't how it was 4-5 years ago. It was sweet and chocolatey then. I am going to let it sit another week and see what happens. I have Lusso's Roma blend arrived today to try out tomorrow.
My experience almost exactly. My baseline is current so all I know is a bland coffee that I struggled to appreciate.
LMWDP #670

MrFrench

#42: Post by MrFrench »

slybarman wrote:I came back to Malabar this morning. Almost two weeks post roast and while less bad, I still can't get anything I am happy to drink. I tried a range of temps and doses. There is an overarching flavor that I can't seem to get rid of. I can smell it too. I am not quite sure how to describe the flavor, but it is not pleasant. I am not getting any sweetness to it at all. This isn't how it was 4-5 years ago. It was sweet and chocolatey then. I am going to let it sit another week and see what happens. I have Lusso's Roma blend arrived today to try out tomorrow.
Malabar needs high temp and a decent rest! I error on the side of over extraction. It's sooo good when you get there.

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
slybarman

#43: Post by slybarman » replying to MrFrench »

I went as high as 208 and it's two weeks out. So far, it's just not what I remember.

Ben C

#44: Post by Ben C »

I've only ordered Malabar Gold twice. The first roughly a year ago. Second a few months ago. I loved my first order and the second had that sour issue requiring high heat. I thought maybe I had gotten a slightly off batch but now I other people reporting the same problem here. Could it be covid related production issues? The change seems recent. When I had that first batch I loved I also saw couple of people saying all positive things about it on this board at the same time.

Similarly, just a couple of weeks ago I ordered a bag of Mr Espresso Organic Neopolitan, which I've had multiple times before but this time it had a bit of a bitter (astringent?) flavor to it that I don't remember from the previous times. However, along with that bag I also ordered their Organic Dark Roast Colombia drip and it tasted really good.

TomC
Team HB

#45: Post by TomC » replying to Ben C »

Their Trieste Blend is probably their best espresso blend! I love it. It does need to be pulled hot though.

slybarman

#46: Post by slybarman »

Circled back to the Malabar this morning after another week and finally got a nice cup from it that was like what I remembered. Had some nice chocolatey flavors. The only difference was time, so I would say that if anybody buys the Malabar, plan to put it away for a good three weeks after you get it. Anything sooner will just be frustrating - or at least was for me.

ETA: I had two lattes from it this morning and really enjoyed them. It's crazy how far this came over the last couple weeks.

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#47: Post by dparrish »

Bringing up this older thread after my recent (last week) trip to Seattle and Espresso Vivace. Wow, stayed all afternoon and had three caramel lattes. Their Vita blend, which I subscribe to, really must be the most caramel-roasted coffee by far. I've really not had anything close. If you go to the Espresso Vivace website, some individual components (I'm guessing, I didn't think to ask them, although I did ask how to reproduce their Caramel Latte) of their blends are listed, including Indian Malabar. It must be an arabica version, though: https://espressovivace.com/our-coffee/blends/ Anyway, I think their secret is both in bean selection and the very consistent roasting. I've really not found anything to compare.While it is not the most complex coffee I've tried, it has the most caramelized taste (even without added caramel) that I've found.If it sounds like I'm singing David Schomer's praises, I am!