Coffee Growing Region, Variety and Process

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Loreo123

#1: Post by Loreo123 »

Hey there!

Everyday there are new recipes that are seeing the light of the day or new brewers emerging by the minute, all of them giving you new ideas and new techniques, without really talking about the coffee that you're actually using it with.

This got me thinking and led me to a question(s) that's been circling around in my head for the past couple of days. But i just can't find a good answer/guide on the internet to it.

Question: Is there a comprehensive list/guide that give's me an overview on how to adjust my brews depending on the growing region, the coffee variety and process.

Important Note: It's a given that we know about roast levels and how to generally deal with them. Also i know gear is important - but let's try no to think about it too much or atleast imagine all of us having 2000€ grinders.

Example: if you put a washed Castillo from Colombia next to a washed Geisha from Panama and a natural "Heirloom" from Ethiopia - what would i have to look out for. Is a washed coffee maybe better off brewed with a higher or lower temperature? Should i adjust my brew ratio for a Geisha? And is a Colombian-Coffee or even more specifically a Castillo-Variety maybe prone to undesirable tastes or a slower flow-rate, that should make me grind finer?
And why is that.

I think you get my point. And even though i really love experimenting and trying new stuff or even putting one coffee through a test run with 200 different brewers and recipe - to see what i like most. Sometimes all i wish for, would be, not even accurate 100% right guidelines, but a comprehensive list that give's me more information on the coffee's that i drink and how to put myself into the ballpark of a good cup, by knowledge about the stated above.

Thank you very much - hope somebody has a recommendation or an answer to this! :)

/edit:
My problem - too really break it down - is that most of the stuff happens by taste. Don't get me wrong, it works and all. But i thought about something that can give everyone involved in coffee, a general "groundwork" and idea about the stuff that made the beans to what they're now in the first place. I don't talk about a "guide" that's like: "Oh yeah, a natural from rwanda. This will be 23 clicks on Comandante and 94C water." (lol).
But an elaboration that gives information about variety, growing-region and process, and then explains what these (maybe just seen one by one) potentially do with your cup and how you (the User) can expect "working" with them.

Royal Coffee

#2: Post by Royal Coffee »

To answer your question directly, I don't know of any such list, and I'd have to say that it would be inadvisable to make too many generalizations or to give recommendations on brewing strictly from origin or subregion. Coffee is an agricultural product, and will differ season by season, even within a specific farm, which will have ramifications for shelf life, roasting, brewing, and everything in between.

That having been said!

Very very generally and briefly from personal experience (your mileage may vary!):

- Denser / higher-grown coffees like those from Ethiopia and Bolivia for example, tend to drain more slowly when using drip filter. Faster pour, bypass brewing, or coarser grind might help with getting the desired extraction. Conversely, less dense / lower grown coffees like those from Brazil or Hawaii tend to pour through more quickly.

- Lighter roasts tend to drain more slowly in filter drip. I believe I read somewhere that this may have to do with relative hardness/brittleness and how grinders fracture the coffee, leading to more fines and coarse particles (a broader grind distribution curve).

- Some very well sorted coffees like those from Kenya will tend to be more soluble due to uniformity in roasting, and perhaps other factors. You can generally use less coffee per volume of water (higher coffee:water ratios) with very soluble coffees, and still get a good extraction.

Those are just a few generalities I've experienced, and I'm interested to see what other folks have to offer in terms of anecdotal evidence. But keep in mind that it's just that.. anecdotal. Enjoy brewing and dialing in!
Evan Gilman
Creative Director
Royal Coffee, Inc.