Coffee-flavored coffee - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Pressino
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Pressino »

Regarding my comment that there is an aroma most people recognize as coffee, Jim wrote:
but this may be based on experience with lots of coffee smells, rather than there being a single coffee aromatic.

I'm sure that's true and quite in line with rather than contradictory to the point that I was making. I never said there is a single chemical structure that olfactory receptors recognize as "coffee," though it hasn't been ruled out. Clearly, however, humans can recognize a wide variety of coffees roasted at different levels as "coffee." Clearly they recognize and identify it the same way we learn to recognize and name other olfactory and indeed all other sensory stimuli---through experience and the cognitive process we call "learning."

jpender

#12: Post by jpender »

I've had lighter roasts that seemed more like tea than coffee to me. Of course I knew it was coffee so I added the experience to my internal list of "what coffee tastes like". But I wonder if the extreme ends of the roasting spectrum might fail to be considered coffee-like to many people. The vast majority of coffee drinkers have never had very lightly roasted coffee. Blindfolded and given a sip would they recognize it as coffee?

The other end is more compressed. Pretty much everybody has at least tasted Starbucks, French and Italian roasts, and their ilk. But would fully carbonized beans still produce a coffee flavor or just taste like charcoal?

DrugOfChoice

#13: Post by DrugOfChoice »

Even though different coffees, roast levels, and preparation methods produce results that taste different, and are often very distinctive, to my taste, they ALL basically taste like coffee. So any flavor notes that I might identify, or might be listed by a roaster, I just think of as peripheral (which doesn't mean insignificant or unimportant) to the beverage's basic identity as coffee.

It's like if you're describing a person's appearance, you don't have to specify that the person has at least one head.

BaristaBob

#14: Post by BaristaBob »

Interesting topic. As a personal aside, I have occasionally purchased Yemen Mokka in search of that intense chocolate note. When my extractions are "perfect" these beans taste like I'm drinking a hot cocoa. It is a pleasurable experience for me, but I have pondered, if I really wanted a hot cocoa why didn't I just make one?! The cost certainly would have been way less than those Mokka beans. :roll:
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

another_jim
Team HB

#15: Post by another_jim »

BaristaBob wrote: ... but I have pondered, if I really wanted a hot cocoa why didn't I just make one?! The cost certainly would have been way less than those Mokka beans. :roll:
But you'd be missing all the interesting background funk.
Jim Schulman

ggcadc

#16: Post by ggcadc »

BaristaBob wrote:Interesting topic. As a personal aside, I have occasionally purchased Yemen Mokka in search of that intense chocolate note. When my extractions are "perfect" these beans taste like I'm drinking a hot cocoa. It is a pleasurable experience for me, but I have pondered, if I really wanted a hot cocoa why didn't I just make one?! The cost certainly would have been way less than those Mokka beans. :roll:
To exactly that same end, why aren't I just drinking fruit juice?

I think the challenge of finding coffees that have specific and desirable flavors and trying to coax those out is the incentive. At least for me. There's something about getting a really fruity espresso that just doesn't compare to pouring a glass of limeade. Also caffeine.

BaristaBob

#17: Post by BaristaBob replying to ggcadc »

Totally agree!!! :lol:
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

josemolina (original poster)

#18: Post by josemolina (original poster) »

As the OP, I very much appreciated another_jim's link to George Howell's flavor wheel. I hadn't seen it and it's great. Again, I personally like both coffees strong on coffee flavor and coffees that emphasize other ones, but I'm glad that people more sophisticated than me are willing to talk this way about what they selling and drinking.

Altair

#19: Post by Altair »

I couldn't agree more with the OP, many light roasts to me don't taste like coffee at all! Moving out of espresso, an ice chemex with Yirga Cheffe lightly roasted beans tastes like bitter ice tea, no coffee in that coffee!

I think it's interesting what people are doing with the coffee bean, but like most I still far prefer a balanced medium roast with a strong traditional coffee foundation, I am all in for added complexity and undertones.

espressotime

#20: Post by espressotime »

To me coffee does have a distinctive " coffee flavour".
I never look for things like berries or chocolate in a bean.
I look for a pleasant coffee taste.
I'm ll find it in darker roasts coffees.The lighter the beans are roasted the less that typical coffee flavour there is.
Kimbo.
Coffee flavour all over.