Coffee Emergency Yemen Mokha San'ani - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
another_jim
Team HB

#11: Post by another_jim »

DigMe wrote:I've been roasting this at home for espresso (sc/co). Great stuff at day 5 and beyond. I find it difficult to get a really even roast on it though due to extreme variance in bean size...and probably my lack of roasting skills too. :oops:

I've REALLY been enjoying the Idido Misty Valley Yirg too. Was disappointed to see that SM's is now completely out of it.

bc
Unless Jason has done some huge mojo to his roaster, the lot he has is heads and shoulders better than the lots being sold by greenies.
Jim Schulman

DigMe

#12: Post by DigMe replying to another_jim »

Really? How'd that happen? For some reason I was thinking this batch of Sana'ani that everyone has right now was all from the same source.

bc

another_jim
Team HB

#13: Post by another_jim »

Royal West Coast is selling two lots, Royal East one lot, Volcafe one lot (although they are labelling it Ismaili). I don't know about YMTC or Holland. Moreover, even within the same lot, there can be huge bag to bag variation. The problem is that Sanani is a generic term for coffees collected at the port of Sana. The growing area includes the high areas of Haimi, Matarri and Ismaili, and the lower areas in between. Each exporter making up the lots mixes up whatever farm lots they have, trading off the amount the can put together with the taste dilution of using lower quality beans. Some of the lots on sale now aren't cupping all that great; whereas Jason's is superlative.
Jim Schulman

edwa

#14: Post by edwa »

Thank you everybody for the heads up. After following this thread I ordered some for myself. This morning my batch of Kid O was finished and I cracked open the San'ani. Wow, what a contrast! I'm glad I have all these previous reviews as a reference because, although I knew I was tasting flavors I'd never had before I wouldn't have known how to describe them. I haven't seen crema that thick since I last pulled some of Caffe Luxxe's coffee (which was revealed to be Vivace on a Coffeegeek thread). Do they use this bean in the Vivace blend? Interestingly, I followed this shot with a new batch of Tribal Medicine at the same grinder setting and it was a perfect example of coffee that hadn't rested enough. It was like someone had shook a can of coke, popped the top and immediately poured it into a glass.

diab0lus

#15: Post by diab0lus »

DigMe wrote: I've REALLY been enjoying the Idido Misty Valley Yirg too. Was disappointed to see that SM's is now completely out of it.

bc
The first order of Idido Misty Valley Yirg that I had was awesome. 5# went in no time. I was roasting with an I Roast 2 and it was the best drip coffee I ever had. So much chaff the beans stopped circulating. A real fruit bomb a little past first crack. I ordered 20# after that. Roasted it in my Hottop in varying degrees of roast and profile (variac) and was not able to reproduce the fruitiness. It was fruity, but not as much. This may be a dynamic of the roaster (I still have my IR2, maybe I should fire it up), but the second 20# batch I received doesn't appear to be as nice as that first 5#.

I talked to my wife to see if she'd be willing to let a few pounds of it go and she doesn't care. After drinking 11# of it, I think she is ready for something new. Drop a message to me if you are interested.

Do you play volleyball (DigMe)?
-Ryan

jrtatl

#16: Post by jrtatl »

Just picked up a bag of this. Roasted 2 days ago. Abe was right about the butterscotch. Without any further rest, that's all I can taste. I dosed about 15g. I don't have accurate temp measurement, but I pulled it at about the middle of my temp range (10 - 15 second delay after a very long flush). The shot was about 1.5 oz in about 30 seconds; 99% crema. I hope that I can coax out some of the more complex flavors as it rests.
Jeremy