Coffee beans & lots of shells, shards

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
chanty 77

#1: Post by chanty 77 »

I won't name the blend as I don't want to put a downer on these beans if this is maybe somewhat normal or a fluke on the bag of beans I got. I have noticed a lot of shells & shards of beans in a particular bag which makes me nervous. Don't know if these shells/shards can damage burrs? Thanks.

chanty 77 (original poster)

#2: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

These are what the shells/shards look like:
userpix/8133_lots_of_coffee_shards__amp ... 8463BK.jpg

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

They won't damage your burrs.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#4: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to yakster »

Your opinion, if this is a rather expensive roast, wouldn't you say that is a lot of waste? Thanks.

MB

#5: Post by MB »

Shouldn't be a problem as far as your grinder burrs are concerned, since it's just coffee bean material. I have seen the rare bag with a few pieces, but not to the extent shown. It wasn't from one of my usual or forum recommended roasters, but part of a multi-roaster subscription as I recall. My thoughts on it are that the more broken up the beans, the more abuse they have had (machinery) or there might be a roast or bean quality issue. I imagine broken beans to that extent loose their freshness much quicker than whole beans.

Before naming names, I would contact the roaster and give them a chance to show how much they care. It may be that someone swept the work area and unfortunately poured it into a bag they shouldn't have. :wink:
LMWDP #472

#6: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to MB »

I have contacted them, but know you guys are an abundance of knowledge so wanted opinions here. I didn't plan on naming names. Appreciate your response and Yak's though. Gives me a sigh of relief that they won't damage my beans.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

The broken beans and the shells are considered secondary defects, not as bad as primary defects but can still affect the flavor. More details here: https://www.coffeestrategies.com/wp-con ... ndbook.pdf
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Ken5

#8: Post by Ken5 »

That is a lot of shells and crushed beans. Was that the bottom of the bag or typical for each dose?

I had a bag once that had a lot of shells, shards and posted on this forum. I hand picked them out, but I don't think I had as many crumbs as you.

Small Amount of Hollow Coffee Beans Mixed In Bag

One member collected enough to make a shot. :).

Ken

#9: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to Ken5 »

Bag was roasted on 7-7, started using it on 7-15 (like 99% of my beans on day 7 or after of roast date). I was noticing some prior to what I took a picture of. Then I just went through the rest of the bag last night & picked out all the shells & shards. Not in bottom of bag either as I have been buying 12 oz. bags so I can try various blends, and I still have about 4 days left---but I noticed this prior to picking them out.

#10: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

I did share with the vendor, and they basically told me 'that these smaller pieces of coffee beans are a normal part of the picking and roasting process and will have no negative impact on your grinder'. I am debating whether I will continue ordering from them as I do really enjoy this roast, but don't know if I agree that this many (probably more--as I was picking them out before I took this picture) shells/pieces/shards are normal especially in only a 12 oz. bag.