Coffee beans and blends in Mexico

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
sarguelles

#1: Post by sarguelles »

Hey guys, I am in Mexico myself and am struggling to find good coffee for my espressos.

There's a thread about sourcing coffee beans here in Mexico City but is 10 years old and not accepting comments anymore so I figured I would start a new thread and get the ball rolling again (Hopefully some of the mexican members have found new options!).
Most reputable coffee vendors here have no idea when the coffee was roasted, or if asked about what kinds of coffee they have on their blend they say: 70% dark roast and 30% medium roast... unbelievable.... It's a little bit frustrating.

I have tried Passmar and although it is the closest I've come to good coffee, I can't say I'm a big fan. It's incredible that in such a big city in a coffee producing country this is so difficult. I am thinking about heading out to the Buna shops and buy some of their product to see if it is as good as they say it is.

Has anyone in Mexico City found here some quality fresh blends? Anything more exotic than just 100% Mexican coffee blends?

Thanks!

Santiago.

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

Send an email to jake @ croptocup dot com. Crop to Cup does a ton of sourcing down in Mexico and Jake may have suggestions on where to grab some decent roasted coffee in Mexico City.
-----
LMWDP #339

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

IPCoffees (http://www.ipcoffees.com/) has been working with coffee producers in Veracruz, Puebla, and Chiapa to source great green coffees. They sell green (unroasted coffees) but may know someone in Mexico City who's roasting their coffees that they can recommend. I've tried their green coffees and even picked some up roasted from Wilson's Coffee and Tea of Racine, Wisconsin and enjoyed it quite a bit.

They've been running a successful espresso challenge with roasters to have them replace the Brazil component of their blends with their coffees from Mexico.

Good luck!
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Got this reply from Andy Newbom (@brewbom on Twitter) who does marketing for IPCoffees:

@yakstr: @Brewbom Anyone selling good coffee bends and blends in Mexico City that you can recommend? Coffee beans and blends in Mexico

@Brewbom: @yakstr hell yea! @BUNA_mx and @almanegracafe and several others in Roma and Coyoacan

@Brewbom: @yakstr and @Avellanedakf rocks too.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

sarguelles (original poster)

#5: Post by sarguelles (original poster) »

Thanks Boldjava and Yakster!

Boldjava: I'll send an email to Jake.

Yakster: I was planning on going to Buna next. I have heard of almanegra but haven't been able to head out there to try it out. Avellaneda I've tried but I got it from a re-seller (way past its prime) and when I stopped by their shop they weren't selling... I'll have to try again.

Thanks a bunch guys!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

I just came across an article on cafes in Mexico City, maybe some of these sell whole bean: http://thecoffeevine.com/blog/travel/th ... ity-guide/
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

andyone

#7: Post by andyone »

Hi there

I would appreciate advice on good Cafés in Mexico City and Guadalajara. My wife and I will spend some weeks in summer there. Thanks for the Cafés that are already mentioned, maybe there are others :D .

Andy

edaymex

#8: Post by edaymex »

Santiago: go to espressarte on avenida Monterrey in Colonia Roma, and also in Chiquitito Café in Condesa.

Me myself am trying to get some green beans, it's really difficult, wanted to get some from sweet Maria's but they dont send to mex. city.

Will post if I get a good seller of green bean in small amounts, let's say 2 kg. Every seller wants some 49 or 64 kg sold. :shock:

Saludos
For me, there are two kind of days... Excelent days, and bad coffee days.